Chapter Thirty-Three ~ Thank You

This chapter is absolute cringe but this whole book is crack so idc anymore. 

Akiara's POV

"It's almost time for the last round!" Present Mic announced into the loudspeakers, making me flinch. I so wanted to KILL Kaminari and Mineta right now.

"But before that," Present Mic continued, "Good news for everyone who didn't make the finals! Since this is the sports festival, we've prepared some super fun side-games everyone can participate in! We even brought in cheerleaders from America to get your blood pumpinggg!"

He paused for a moment. "Hold up.."

Aizawa's voice was heard over the speakers next, completely annoyed. "What are they doing."

I stood in a line with the rest of the girls from UA, in one of the cheerleader outfits, the same thing the rest of them were wearing. My face was bright red. I never wanted to wear something this... revealing. It hugged my body in certain ways that made it impossible to be comfortable in.

All of us were completely embarrassed and dejected.

"Looks like Class 1-A's going full on fan service!" Present Mic cheered.

Kaminari and Mineta gave each other a thumbs-up and I scowled at them.

"WHAT?!" Momo squealed at them, waving one of her pompoms in the air. "YOU TRICKED US?! YOU'RE GONNA REGRET THIS!" Momo fell to the ground and Ochaco went to kneel next to her. "Why is it that I'm always falling for that little pervert's stupid scemes? I even used my quirk to make these outfits..."

Ochaco patted her back reassuringly.

"UGH I HATE THOSE GUYS!" Jiro threw her pompoms onto the ground, her cheeks blushing a bright pink.

I was using one pompom to cover my exposed stomach and the other to cover my flustered face. "Embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing..."

"Well, we do have a little time before the finals start and I kinda like these uniforms!" Hagakure hesitantly chimed in, then becoming more confident. "How bout we just roll with it!!"

Jiro's eye twitched as her blush deepened. "ARE YOU CRAZY?!"

"Wow, Toru." Tsu popped up. "You've got skills!"

I fell to the ground just like Momo had, still trying to cover myself up. "Embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing..."

Unbeknownst to me, a certain someone in Class 1-A's crowd was watching me with a slight blush on his face, trying to be discreet.

(perv much?? lol jk he's a precious boi)

_____________

"Todoroki? What on earth are you doing out here?" I wondered aloud when I found him outside of the arena, leaning against the wall in a very secretive place where nobody would find him unless they were looking.

And I was looking.

After the brackets for the tournament were announced, I immediately went to change back into my PE uniform instead of staying in the cheerleader skirt, happy to be back in modest clothing. Then I set off on my journey to find my best friend.

"I haven't really seen you since the cavalry battle." I frowned as he stared up at me with wide eyes. "I was a little bit worried."

"Akiara." He mumbled my name, and I noticed he had been staring at his left hand before I had arrived. He directed his glance back to the ground in front of him. "Sorry I've just been... thinking."

"About the tournament?" I asked as I sat down on the grass, and he followed suit, taking a seat in front of me.

"Sort of."

I smiled sheepishly. "If you ever need to talk you know I'm here, right?"

Todoroki's eyes glanced up to meet mine, and I held my breath. "Yeah... I know."

I exhaled slowly. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, Todo. It's okay."

"No, I want to. It's just..." He ran a hand through his hair. "My mind is swirling in a million different directions at once. It's--"

"Overwhelming?" I offered, and I frowned when he nodded slowly. I sighed. "It's about your dad, isn't it?"

"Partly."

I laced my fingers together in my lap as I shifted to sit with my legs crossed. "So, it's about the tournament, about your dad, what else?" I flinched. "Sorry-- I don't mean to intrude--"

"No, it's okay, Akiara." Todoroki's back straightened and he looked at me again with sad eyes. "Maybe talking about it with you will help me sort everything out."

"Okay..." I replied hesitantly, continuing my previous thought. "So on the list I have the tournament, Endeavor, anything else?"

Todoroki's fists clenched as they rested on his knees. "My mom."

My eyes widened. "Your... mom?"

I don't think he's ever told me about his mother. What had happened to her? I sort of assumed she was out of the picture, either divorced or maybe the same fate my parents had fallen to.

"If... if it's not too much trouble, Candycane..." His eyes seemed to soften even the slightest bit at the mention of the nickname. "Could you tell me about her?"

Todoroki hesitated, but he eventually nodded. "Her name was Rei. She had white hair and grey eyes, like my left side. I... the only memories I have of her... are those of her crying." His jaw clenched and I instantly wanted to hug him, but decided he could handle it for at least right now. "My father abused her as much or maybe more than he did me, and it drove her mentally insane." He raised one of his hands up to caress his scar. "I remember she called my left side unbearable before she poured boiling water on my face."

I gasped, my hand flying up to cover my mouth. "Todo..."

Todoroki's hand started trembling.

I scooted closer to him and put my hand on his cheek. He looked up at me, startled, and I was shocked to see a tear escaping his eye. My bottom lip trembled, but I refused to cry, too. Seeing him this vulnerable was weird, since he was usually so protective and strong around me. I hated how he doubted and blamed himself.

"Wait why are you crying?" He asked suddenly, putting a hand on the wrist of my raised arm.

My brow furrowed. "Todo, none of it's your fault, okay?" His eyes widened. "I can tell that you're thinking that deep down. It's not you, it's your father. He's a horrible and sick man." I swallowed thickly. "You're nothing like him, alright? I just want you to know that. You'll never turn into him; no, you can't. Because of this."

I brought my other hand up and placed it on his chest, right on top of his heart.

"Akiara." Todoroki slowly inhaled before tugging me into a hug, which I happily returned. He buried his face in my fluffy hair and I giggled lightly. "Thank you." He whispered, and I smiled against his shoulder.

"Don't thank me, Todoroki." I replied sternly as we pulled away from the hug. "Is there anything else you need to talk about?"

Todoroki simply stared at me, his heterochromatic eyes staring into my soul. "No, what you said really helped me. But... is there anything you need to talk about?"

My eyes widened and my face twisted into a soft smile. "Well... I am nervous about my first match."

His eyebrows arched. "You're going against, Iida, right?"

I nodded.

He smiled lightly. "You'll do fine. I believe in you."

Even though I gave him a genuine giggle, I was screaming internally.

Why?

Don't ask me.

I don't know either.

~Dream