Chapter Six: The Boldest Thing

Jack Hamilton

The drive back to our apartment building was... interesting. Penn refused to stay in the backseat—which, by the way, is where she originally wanted to be—and managed to army crawl her way to the front where she just stared at me the entire time and hummed a melody she probably just made up.

I eyed her carefully as I parked the car and got out to help her.

"I can... I can... I can doit!" she insisted, getting out of the car like she was trying to pop out of water.

Honestly, I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from laughing. Drunk Penn was oddly hilarious. You could say she was almost whimsical. Almost. But she definitely had a loose tongue. Every and any thought that popped into her head came out without much prior processing.

When she finally managed to get out of my car, she started to walk in the opposite direction of our building. I grabbed her arm before she could stumble against a light post.

"W-when did the world get slanted?" she looked all around in genuine confusion.

"Penn, the world is not slanted. You are." I smirked.

"Nonononononononono. I-I know a str-straight line. See. See, Jack, it looks like this." Her hand moved like it was the dotted bee line in a cartoon.

"Oookkk," I steadied her by placing my hand gently on her back. This way, I could guide her easier into her apartment. "Yep, you got it. Come on."

"Ooh... Mr. Super-brain!" she giggled as we went up the stairs. "So, handsy."

I shook my head, embarrassed by her comment, but not removing my hand. "Handsy, huh? You into that, Penn?" I asked, playing along.

"No. No. But... I-I guess it's 'kay from you." Her hand smooshed against my cheek as it slid down my face.

My eyebrows pulled together at her comment. "Good to know." I told her as we approached her door. "Penn, Penn, focus on me for a second." Her eyes rolled around the hallway in wonderment, but when they settled on me, they seemed clear enough. "Where are your keys?"

"Keys?" she asked, looking to a corner as she thought about it. "Why, the keys areinthe soup!" she laughed then as if she said the funniest thing anyone has ever heard. "Y-your face! Silly-billy-philly. Why would they beinthe soup when they're in your pants! HA!!"

"Yeah... I should have guessed as much." I mumbled to myself as I checked the pockets of Penn's jacket. Why would she be helpful in this state?

She giggled as if I was tickling her. "Jack!" Penn gave me the once over before she said, "You h-have to take a girl out f-first before you put yourhand in her pockets."

Not knowing what to say to that, I opened the door, and let us in to Penn and Des's place. I've only ever been in here a handful of times, but it never failed to be neat and tidy. Their living space was right when you walked in, and it was decorated with a light blue couch that seemed to fit both Penn and Des. On top of the couch was a purple fuzzy blanket, and in front of that was a dark brown coffee table that was littered with paper, books, and a sewing kit.

If I had any doubts about who lived here, their cleared up now. I smiled as I kept looking around, but my curiosity was quickly distracted when Penn grabbed my hand and very sloppily started to drag me somewhere.

"C-come, Jack."

"And where are we going?" I asked, eyebrow raised.

"HERE!" she raised her free hand in what I imagine was supposed to be a 'ta-da' gesture. "This is my room."