Chapter Three: Physiology

Jack Hamilton

There's something about getting caught taking off Penn's shirt that's just slightly mortifying.

Des gives off a certain 'den mother' vibe every so often, and I now—one hundred percent—understand why Penn acts extra childish around her most times. But when she walked in and gave me that look of shock and amusement, I thought I might never be able to look her in the eyes again!

Des seemed to be joking with us, but she's also Rougarou. Something I'm still trying to wrap my head around. I wonder if she can tell that I'm into Penn.

Nah... I thought to myself. Well, maybe. I shook the thought away. I didn't have the headspace for that right now. Des left me in charge of Penn's care, and I take that seriously. Especially since this summer fever seems to be affecting her Tempest form too.

I walked back into Penn's room with a new glass of water and her second box of tissues. Since Des went off to play superhero, I've had to watch Penn hack up a lung, blow her nose like she might never stop, and contort her face in the wildest way so she didn't sneeze so much. Not that it worked very well, or very often, but it was hilarious to see her try.

Just as I handed her the new box of tissues, she sneezed three times. In a flash she went from Tempest to Penn, and back to Tempest again.

"Uuugggghhhh..." she groaned—her nose stuffy as her green eyes came out of her daze. "This is getting annoying."

Unconsciously, I sat next to her, watching this figure in front of me. Her long chestnut hair was messy, her fair skin was pale and sickly, and she squirmed uncomfortably.

It's been a while since I saw Tempest's form up close like this. The last time was...

I smirked warmly, remembering that's when I kissed her. Penn, that is, not Tempest. Does it matter which form I kiss if she's the same person? And even as I thought it, I knew the answer. Because if it didn't matter, why was I so against it on her birthday?

"Are you—ACHOOO!!" Penn sneezed into a tissue and returned to her normal self. "Are you ok? You're looking at me funny."

Should I bring it up? All of it? I felt my brows furrow. Maybe when she's feeling better. Now's probably not the time to pile on.

"I'm alright. Just..." I paused, looking at her again, but this time my gaze was more analytical than evocative. "...wondering what it is about your physiology that has you transforming just because of a cold."

Penn rolled her eyes and shrugged. "I couldn't tell you." She said between coughs. "Wish I knew."

"I have a theory." I started slowly.

After a minute of silence, my neighbor said, "Care to share?"

"Well—" I took her pulse by pressing my fingers against the artery on her neck. Penn's pulse sped up for a moment and I looked at her worriedly. Her cheeks were flushed. I feared her fever worsened. "—How are you feeling?" I reached for the thermometer as I waited for her response.

She coughed as she said, "Super duper, obviously."

I smiled. At least she still has her sense of humor. I checked her temperature and it had only gone down one degree.

"You still have a high fever, but... this makes me wonder how sick you really are, Penn."

"What do you mean?" she asked groggily—the medicine finally beginning to make her drowsy.

"Didn't you mention before that you have the ability to heal yourself?"

She nodded, her eyes blinking slowly. "Yeah, why?"

"So, theoretically, a minor cold shouldn't knock you on your ass like this because your abilities as Tempest would heal you automatically."

"Riiiggghhhttt," She nodded, following my logic.

"Which means, that whatever sickness you're going through might be something that a normal person would be hospitalized for."

Penn yawned audibly, barely covering her mouth as she blinked at me. "I get it." She responded. "So, this fever might be so bad that even my powers can't fully hold it off."

"Exactly," I nodded, my mind whirling with hypotheses. "Penn, would you be open to me studying your physiology further? I know the Blakes are helping you, but maybe I can take some blood samples and see what's going on. That is, when you're feeling better."

"Sure," she half-smiled and half-yawned—which is exactly how crazy as it sounds. "Only 'cause it's you, though."

My eyes widened, surprised by her words. Did she really mean that? Or is she just drowsy from the drugs?

I watched Penn carefully. Her shoulders slumped and she was starting to lean over a bit.

"Come on," I smiled, helping her to lie down and covering her with her blanket. "Time to rest up."