Chapter Eight: Civilest of People

Penn Benson

"Penn?" Jack's voice felt distant as he called me. "Penn? Wake up!"

I clutched my comforter tight as I rose so fast and so fluidly, you would think I learned it from Dracula himself. My breath was ragged, and my eyes had a hard time focusing on anything for too long. I kept scanning the room, making sure that Chaos didn't escalate to threat level seventy-two just for shits and giggles. Goodness knows she's not above violating boundaries.

"Penn, what's going on? Speak to me." When Jack spoke, his calm demeanor instantly made me zero in on him.

Despite being stuffy as hell, sweaty like a sinner in church, and massively sore—like it had been the first time I exercised in AGES—I managed to lift my hands up to his face and squeeze his cheeks together.

He looked like a pufferfish as his eyebrows furrowed. "Benson..." Jack started slowly before his words began to slur a bit. "What're doin'? Thisis weird... Even foryou."

Definitely not still in my head, right? This is the real Jack...

Without thinking, I slid my hands down to his neck. Swiftly checking for any residual marks. Despite knowing the Jack in my dream wasn't real, I still had no idea the extent of Chaos's abilities. Could she affect the outside world while she was in my head?

Seeing no marks, I breathed a sigh of relief that relaxed my shoulders so much it was almost painful. Jack reached up, cupping my hands in his as he moved them down towards the bed.

My gaze fixated on our hands. Even as a coughing fit struck, Jack held my left hand securely while my right reached up to muffle the noise. As I cleared my throat, I caught a glimpse of Jack's concerned face. He wore a soft frown as his eyes examined me carefully. Uh oh... I thought as I took comfort in the feel of my hand in his. The irony of my thoughts being more lucid in this moment—in the midst of a fever—didn't go unnoticed. I'm not so sure I hate you anymore... I bit the inside of my cheek, trying my hardest not to reveal my inner workings. This could be a problem. Maybe? Sort of... Shit.

"What's going on?" Jack asked worriedly.

"Sorry." I frowned, sniffling a bit as I struggled not to mouth-breathe. "It's nothing. Just a stupid nightmare."

"A nightmare? About what?" my companion never took his eyes off me. It was almost overwhelming.

Should I tell him about Chaos? I quickly mulled it over before deciding to hold off. Later.

I just wasn't in the mood to spend anymore of my focus on Chaos. Seeing her in my dreams was more than enough interaction. Besides, maybe it would be easier to bring up Chaos with Jack if I brought him to the lab. Maybe he could help me make sense of all that science mumble bumble—especially because Kate and Elton have been very withholding all summer.

"Something stupid." I shrugged. "But, um, Jack."

"Yeah?" he asked.

My eyes just kept going back to our hands. Maybe it's because I'm feeling more sensitive since I'm sick, but I suddenly couldn't stop thinking about everything that's happened since I gained my abilities. It was only a few months ago that Jack signed on to Team Tempest. Was I really worth all the trouble? He's helped me, twice now, to regain my health, is working on updating my AdapWear, and offered to help me find answers about my physiology. I just... don't understand what he gets out of this?

"Why are you helping me?" I coughed again before clearing my throat.

"What do you mean?" he replied, puzzled.