Chapter Two: A Darker Shade of Blue

Des Louviere

I love Petite, but I sometimes wonder if she's out of her mind. Ever since she's become a superhero, she wants to do nothing, but fight crime. Which, I am not opposed to, but I'd rather she didn't put herself at risk, unnecessarily. And hopefully, today will show Petite that she needs to take a break once in a while too.

"You know, Petite," I started, scolding her as Jack and I escorted her to her bedroom. "It should not take injuring yourself or getting sick for you to take a day off."

She groaned as she sat on the bed. "Deeessss..." she whined in her usual fashion whenever she's really sick. "Can you yell at me after you get the meds?"

I tried not to laugh as I glanced between her and Jack. Penn was coughing up a storm, and Jack was propping up her pillows so she could sit up on her bed. Well, this should be interesting. Both their auras were tinged with pink. Very interesting.

"Oui, Petite. I can do that. But know, that we will pick up where we left off." I squinted, half playfully.

"Aye—" Cough. "Aye, captain."

"Take good care of her while I'm away, Jack." I nodded to my stuffy friend.

"You got it." He winked just as I walked out the door.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I grabbed a basket as soon as I walked into the Molly's convenience store. Without a second thought, I immediately grabbed cough drops, tissues, lozenges, orange juice, cold medicine, and anything and everything I could find that could cure this spontaneous cold of Petite's. One would think I was trying to cure a small army with the number of items in my basket. But better prepared than not.

As I continued my search, I heard this couple talking.

"I can't believe someone is raiding the zoo right now." The girl seemed distressed.

"I know." Her partner spoke, putting her arm around her girlfriend's shoulders to comfort her. "It's wild." She froze for half a second as the other woman furrowed her brow at her. "Pun not intended! I swear!"

The upset one was not amused as she continued. "Doesn't it feel like a lot of weird things have been happening lately? I mean, yeah, it's kinda cool that CC has a superhero and all, but what good is she if she can't stop some psycho when she's needed."

"Well, the police can deal with it too, you know. Just because there is a 'hero' doesn't mean she can be everywhere. Or can she? I don't really understand her powers, do you?"

"I dunno." Her partner shrugged. "But someone needs to do something before people get hurt. Or the animals!"

Absentmindedly, I walked up to the cash register and placed my items on the counter. The zoo, huh? What could be going on there? There was something about it that gave me a bad feeling.

"Follow your gut, Des." I could hear Avery's voice in my head. "You are a powerful seer. And that doesn't always mean believing what's in front of you." Till this day, his words—his lessons—guide me.

I closed my eyes, trying not to think of a ghost.

"You alright, Des?"

I opened my eyes quickly at the call of my name. When I did, I realized that I came face-to-face with Penn's brother. I smiled, pleasantly surprised to find him behind the counter. "Reese! What are you doing here? I did not know you started working here."