2

~CLAIR~

Monday came quicker than expected but I was happy to get out of that hellhole. Yesterday, Alexia kept on coming over and I was tired of hear their laughter and her horrible moans. Don't blame my virgin ears.

"Good morning Mrs. Rossi", the reception, Jane winks at me and I roll my eyes playfully. "Morning Jane, please don't call me that", I tell her and she giggles. She picks up a magazine and hands it to me.

I gasp as I look at the cover. "The whole world knows you're married to one of the richest families in Italy. How cCool is that?", she gushes and I send her a fake smile. "Pretty cool", I say sardonically but I was relieved she didn't catch that.

I happily greet the patients as I walked to my office. I switch on the lights and open the curtains. I sit on my desk chair and pick up the magazine. RICHEST AND HOT FORMER SUPERMODEL AND NOW CEO OF R'S ENTERPRISE, MR. MATTEO ROSSI GETS MARRIED TO BEAUTIFUL YOUNG WOMAN. I blush at the last part.

The cover picture had both of us dancing during the reception party. I flip open to the next page and see a picture of when we were exchanging our vows.

I scoff as I read some comments.

How beautiful!

They are really meant for each other!

Isn't she a model or something?

I roll my eyes and flip the page to the next one. It had a picture of both of us exchanging our wedding rings. I scoff as I look at the diamond ring in my finger. So much for love...

The door opens and in worked one of my least favorite persons in the world. "Welcome back Mrs. Rossi", he says and I roll my eyes. An email pops up on my laptop telling me that I need to see a patient immediately. I stand up and grab my lab coat from my rack.

"How was your honeymoon? Did you guys actually have one? Because you resumed early", he asks. I turn around to glare at him.

"Look Trevor, whatever I do is none of your business", I tell him. "I knew you didn't marry out of love", he says and I was taken aback. "Excuse me! Whether I marry out of love or not doesn't concern you!", I say angrily and grab my note pad and stethoscope.

"No rushing baby", he grabs my arm and pushes me to the wall. "Let me go this instant!", I yell. He places a finger on my thumb to shut me up and I glare at him.

"You talk too much baby girl", he chuckles and I roll my eyes. "I have a patient to attend to so get the fuck off me!", I growl at him and he chuckles but complies.

I adjust my dress and stomped out of the office with my face red. He always does that every time we meet. He infuriates me, he's so cocky and selfish and the list goes on.

I approach ward 109 and walk in. I see a girl around the age of seven lying on the bed. Her skin was deadly pale and her body was thin showing off her bones.

I get closer to her and my heart clenched as I heard her little sobs. "Hey baby girl", I coo as I sit beside her. She rose her head up and a pair of big electric blue eyes met mine.

"Why are you crying?", I ask her. "M-my t-throat hurts. And I s-stutter", she croaks and I could see the pain. I place my hand on her cheek and stroke it gently.

"I'm sorry. Just nod if I ask you any question okay?", I ask her and she nods. I grab my note pad.

"Okay baby girl, does your throat hurt really bad?", I ask her and she nods. I scribble down severe pain. "Do you find it hard to speak?", I ask her and she nods. "Is it also hard to eat?", I ask her and she nods.

"When last did you eat?", I ask her. She turns her gaze away from me. "Did you eat this morning?", she slowly shakes her head. "Yesterday night?", she shakes her head. "Morning or night?", she shakes her head. "Anytime the day before then?", I ask her and she shakes her head.

My eyes widen in alarm and I gasp. "Why didn't you eat?", I ask her. "I c-can't s-swallow it. It h-hurts" she winces and my heart clenches when I see tears well up in her eyes. "What's your name?", I ask her softly.

"Hailey", she croaks. "Okay Hailey, I'm gonna get you something", I tell her. "P-please no, other n-nurses are m-mean b-because I c-can't eat", she stutters sadly.

"Oh baby girl, I'll feed you myself. You're my patient", I assure her and she nods her head.

~~

I sigh tiredly as I open the door and walk in. I stayed later than expected mainly because I was trying to persuade Hailey to eat something. After checking and running some tests on her throat. I realized that her throat sore was really bad.

Her mother wasn't happy though but I assured her everything would be fine. "Welcome Clair", I snap my head to see Martha cleaning the class figurines on the shelf. "Thank you Martha", I greet her politely. She should be around the age of seventy if not more.

I walk up the stairs and opened my bedroom door and walked in. I decided to take a long soothing shower to ease my stressed muscles.

While soaking in the bath tub, I begin to think about ways to cheer Hailey up tomorrow. When I left her ward, she looked lifeless like there was nothing to save her.

She was scared and tired. I only managed to make her eat small bites of the lasagna I got for her. I sigh and think about Peter. Peter was the head doctor and owner of the hospital. He was old enough to be my grandfather and he is also my family's doctor. He was the one who inspired me to become a doctor.

Now that the hospital had become popular and it grew in all aspect, I was more than happy to be working there. Humming to my favorite lullaby tune that my mom used to sing to me when I was little, I wash off the soap on my body.

Speaking of mom, I hate my parents and I will not change that. I drape a towel around my body and step out of the tub and walk out of the bathroom. I slip on a pair of blue silk pajamas shorts that stopped mid thigh and an oversized grey shirt.

I tie my long hair in a ponytail, slip into a pair of slippers and walk out of my room. I hear giggles as I reached the end of the stairs and I internally groan.

As I entered the kitchen, I spotted them. They were sitting on the island eating dinner. I see Martha cleaning the kitchen slab and I walk over to her.

"Clair!", an annoyingly high pitched voice calls my name. "Yes?", I ask the Barbie. "Come join us for dinner", she says. "I'm not hungry", I tell her and turn my attention back to Martha.

"Martha, serve Clair her food", Alexia orders and Martha nods. I curse in my mind as I take deep breaths and collect the tray of food from Martha who innocently flashes me a smile.

It's not your fault, I say to her mentally.

I sit at the far end directly face the devil while his bimbo eyed me with disgust.

Argh! For the love of God stop looking at me like that!

"So Clair, how old are you?", the bimbo asks. I narrow my eyes at her but answer. "Twenty three", I say. "That's too young for you to get married. Shouldn't you have waited till like about twenty six?", she asks mockingly.

Note to everyone: I'm a cry baby. I take insults to heart, I have emotional issues and don't blame me!

"It's not like I asked to get married at an early age", I mumble under my breath. "I'm twenty six by the way", she says. "I guessed as much", I say through gritted teeth.

"So what are your intentions now that you have married the richest man in Italy?", Barbie asks and I drop my fork. "Excuse me?", I say. "You heard me right, Clair. What made you run after a man like him and ruin our relationship?". She asks.

The devil himself was watching us like it was his personal TV show time. "For your fucking information Alexia, I never agreed to this marriage. I was told two days before this marriage. I had no fucking say in the agreement. If I had my choice, I will never marry someone like him!", I say angrily.

I push my untouched plate and stand up. Tears well up in my eyes as I turned to leave, I run up the stairs and shut my room door.