30

~CLAIR~

Dinner wasn't awkward, to my surprise. Briana was busy gushing about how she hated her lecturer. When dinner ended, Brianna retreated to her room leaving only Matteo and I in the kitchen.

Not knowing what to do, I arranged the clean plates in the cupboard. "Are you upset?".

I whipped my head to the side to see Matteo staring at me with his hands in his pockets.

"No, I'm good", I said as I bit my lower lip as my eyes roamed is features. I didn't know why guys looked so hotter with their sleeves rolled up. He walked towards me and pulls me towards him. "I know you may not believe me but I'm happy that you're pregnant", he told me making my heart flutter.

A small smile formed on my lips as I nodded. "I'm happy I'm pregnant too", I said but I felt my throat tighten. "What's wrong?", he asked. How I wish I could tell you.

"You won't understand", I told him. "Stop pushing me away, Clair. Just tell me", he pleaded. His tired eyes were showing seriousness.

It's now or never

"When we got married, you said this will be a loveless marriage", I swallowed hard. "But, I can't keep up with that rule. I'm sorry but I'm falling for you and I know you won't love me back but I just do", I confessed. My emotions were scattered all over the place.

I looked away from his gray eyes and direct my gaze to anything but him. "Clair, look at me", he whispered. I didn't even answered. "Clair", his voice was more softer this time.

Slowly, I looked into his eyes. He smiled and brushed his thumb on my lower lip. "I was still stupid and arrogant back then", his accent was more native now. "I was used to women who loved money and would do anything to get power. I thought you wanted me for my power and money, but I was wrong", he said to me.

"I started falling in love with you ever since the day you had that asthma attack. How helpless and weak you looked made me promise myself to protect you", he admitted.

So he loves me?

"Clair, I love you so much that every day I thought of ways to tell you but it was hard to", he said to me. "Matteo", I tried to say. "Clair, I love you. When you got pregnant, I was happy and guilty at the same time. I felt at fault but knowing you wanted the pregnancy gave me relief", he said.

"Matteo, I'm sorry", I sniffled. A tear slipped down my cheek and he used his thumb to wipe it away. "I love you Clair", he said. I sniffled and pulled him into a hug wrapping my arms around his waist. "I love you too", I told him.

We pulled away and he crashed his lips on mine immediately. I felt my whole body ignite.

Fucking Lord!

֍

"You look so giddy today. Not that I'm complaining though". I raised my head to see Trevor walk into the room. "What do you want, Trevor?", I asked him. "I'm just bored", he sighed and sat in front of my desk.

I was in the office skimming through some of my patients files when he walked in. "Suit yourself", I told him. "Need help?", he asked. "Nah, I'm good", I smiled.

"How's the baby?", he asked me. "It's fine and healthy", I answered him. "When will you start eating for two?", he joked and I glared at him. "What are you trying to say?", I asked with narrowed eyes. "That I can't wait to see you become fat, all the sexiness will be gone so let me enjoy it while it lasts", he faked sadness. "Trevor!",I hit him on his arm and he laughed.

"What! I'm just saying", he laughed. "Don't say that", I told him. "I'm sorry but seriously, you'll soon start eating for two", he said and I rolled my eyes with a small smile on my face.