16

~CLAIR~

I smiled as I waved the family goodbye. I just discharged Annie Mae; a five year old girl that had a severe case of yellow fever. She was at the brink of death when they brought her but luckily for her, she didn't die.

I stood up from my chair and stretched my aching limbs. A knock on the door brought me out from my stretching session. "Come in", I said loudly.

The door opened and my mouth dropped as a man walked in. "Peter!", I screamed in happiness and ran to hug him. "Hello to you too, doll", he chuckled and ruffled my hair.

Peter was a tall, old but strong man that owned this hospital. He was and is still the best doctor that I know. "When did you arrive? You must be tired? How was your flight? What about Kylie? Is Lisa okay?", I asked all at once.

He let out a full laugh and patted my head. "Did you come here immediately?", I asked with concern. He went to sit on one of the arm chairs and I quickly grabbed a cup of water from the dispenser.

"Here you go", I handed it to him as I sat opposite him. "How is Trevor?", he asked. I snorted and he laughed. "I guess that says it all", he said as he drank his water. "I wish I could punch him in his guts to knock some sense into him", I said. "You'd probably crush his baby making tool", he chuckled and I grinned. "But you know", he started. "Even though he playing other women, he's smart and accurate", he stated making me roll my eyes.

I sighed and folded my hands. "I got news that you're married", he said with a smile. "Jane", I mumbled to myself and he nodded. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, it's just that...", I trailed of as I tried to think for what to say. "It was not of free will", he completed it for me and I nodded.

"I understand everything perfectly, I won't judge you. But if he does anything stupid, I'll castrate him", he told me and I laughed.

"Okay", I said with a smile.

֍

After talking with Peter for what seemed like hours, we decided to go home since work was over. "I'm so fucking tired", I moaned as I stretched my body on my bed. Sam giggled at my wails and shook her head. "You really look worn out", she said and I stuck my tongue out at her.

"A little birdie told me that you're hanging out with Luca", I said with a smirk as her face turned red. "Shut up", she grumbled. I rolled my eyes and sat up straight.

"So are you guys dating?", I asked as I removed my top. "No!", she denied. She cleared her throat and straightened up, "I mean, we can't date each other. It won't work out".

"Why?", I asked her with a frown. "I just broke up from a relationship and he's a player", she stated as if it was a fact and I sighed. "That doesn't mean anything", I argued with her. "Yes it does, besides, he gets on my nerves most of the time", she told me.

The door opened and Mia ran in. She was holding a large pink box in her hands. "Sam! Clair! Look what uncle Teo got for me!", she squealed happily as she jumped onto my bed and crawled onto my lap.

"What's in it?", I asked her. "Play doe!", she cried out in happiness. "It's an ice cream maker too!", she added making Sam and I chuckle. "Yes it is but don't eat it", Sam warned her and she frowned in confusion. "Why, isn't it ice cream?", she asked cutely. "You don't want a stomach upset, do you?", I said to her, ruffling her hair. "No, mommy won't be happy", she said and I nodded.

"Good girl, let's go make dinner for everybody", I suggested. "Chicken Alfredo please!", she exclaimed. "Chicken Alfredo it is", I said laughing as the three of us got off the bed. We made our way out of my room and headed for the kitchen.

֍

"Do we?", I whined as I stared at the invitation card. Matteo looked at me like I was dumb. I let out a sigh and crossed my arms. "At the last minute?", I grumbled. "I just got it", he defended. "I'll ask Sam if she could watch over the kids", I stood up and walked out of the dining room.

I heard him sigh and I rolled my eyes. He has been acting strange lately and I didn't understand why. "Sam?", I said as I entered my room. She was sprawled across my bed typing away on her phone.

"Yeah?", she responded. "Do you mind watching the kids for me while Matteo and I attend a party?", I asked her. She sat up straight and tilted her head.

"How come I know nothing about this?", she asked. "Last minute", I sighed. "Figured that out", she chuckled as she laid back down. "What are you going to wear?", she asked me. "A simple plain dress with wedges with little makeup", I said as I went to my closet

She grinned and cracked her knuckles. "Coming right up", she said and hopped off the bed.

Thirty minutes later, she was done with her magic. "Gorgeous as ever", she said and blew me a kiss. I looked in the mirror and I smiled at her work.

The black sundress complemented my nude lip gloss and black eye shadow giving the whole dressing a smoky theme. I slipped on my black wedges and decided to leave my hair in it's messy wavy state.

"See you tomorrow", I hugged her. "Have fun", she said and ushered me to the door. I waved her bye and walked out of my room. I walked down the stairs to see Matteo standing by the door waiting impatiently.

"We're already late", he said and walked towards the front door. Okay, ouch. No compliments. Not even a smile, even if it was fake. "Thanks for the news", I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

He walked out of the house and I followed behind quietly. We entered the limo and Alfred began to drive.

One hour and twenty minutes of hell later, we arrived at our destination. Matteo got out of the car and started walking towards the building.

"What is up with him?", I grumbled to myself. "I can't seem to understand him too", Alfred sighed. "Thank you for the ride, Alfred", I said politely and stepped out of the car.

I gently walked into the building. People, lots of wealthy people gathered everywhere. Guess what? Matteo was nowhere to be found.

"Clair", I turned around to see Luca. I breathed out relief, thank God for a familiar face.

"Hi Luca", I waved at him. He walked towards me and grabbed my hand before he made me spin around slowly. "You look beautiful tonight", he said and I blushed lightly. "Thank you", I said in appreciation. He made up for his friend then. 

"Looking for Matteo?", he asked me. "No, I'm not looking for him. I'm just wondering where he might be", I said with a shrug. "He's talking to that guy", he pointed at a man in a military uniform.

"Who is he?", I asked. He had grayish brown hair, he was awfully big with a powerful aura. "That's General Marwick Shaw", he answeres. "Isn't he the head of the American Military Army?", I asked and he nodded in confirmation. "Oh", I said and looked at my fingers.

"Want some?", he offered me a glass of red wine he collected from one of the servers. I stared at the cup and nodded before collecting it from him. "Thanks", I said. Then, I see them coming towards us. "They're coming", I said. "Just be cool", he whispered and I nodded.