14

TJOAIC 14 – JADE HAIRPIN (玉钗)

This was the first time the emperor came to Taoyu Pavilion without indulging in the matters of the flesh. Whether it was because of pity toward her injured knees or because of impotence due to indulging too often was anyone’s guess. In Zhuang Laoyan’s opinion, it was more likely to be the latter. After all, men were, at times, more of an animal than true animals. Such a small injury on her knees shouldn’t have been enough to turn an animal into a gentleman. Of course, in this world there indeed was a type of men known as “Liu Xiahui¹.” However, the emperor did not fall under that classification.

Last night, under the candlelight, the bruises had seemed frightening. When Zhuang Laoyan woke up in the morning, they did not look as serious as before. That said, two large patches of green were still upon skin pale as snow. No matter how one looked at it, it was unpleasant.  

Zhuang Laoyan herself found it ugly. One would fear that as the emperor personally rolled up the legs of her inner-garment pants, he would find it even harder to look it. She carefully sneaked a peek at him. Saw that his gaze did not hold disgust. So she let him look as he pleased.  

“We have ointment that dispels bruises. In a little while, We will tell Gao Dezhong to send some to you.” Feng Jin let go of the legs of her pants. He rose to his feet. “It’s no longer early. We will attend court.”

“This concubine sends off Your Majesty.”

The moment Feng Jin walked to the door, he turned his head around. And he just caught the love in Imperial Concubine Zhao’s eyes. However, it was only a flash. When he had wanted to see it clearer, he could only see Imperial Concubine Zhao’s courteous manner in sending him off. His mood grew slightly excited. “In a few days, We will promote…” Recalling the previous look in her eyes, Feng Jin paused. Then he calmly said, “Remember to apply the ointment on time. If anything strange occurs, inform the Department of the Palace. “ 

Once he stepped out of Taoyu Pavilion, Feng Jin glanced at Gao Dezhong. Although his tone was calm, he still asked, “Who caused Imperial Concubine Zhao’s injury?” His attitude was composed, as though he were certain Gao Dezhong knew the culprit.  

He was the head eunuch of Qianzheng Palace. What he should know, he would know. Since the emperor had asked him, as the emperor’s servant he naturally would speak. “Reporting to Your Majesty, this slave has heard that Consort Yuan and Imperial Concubine Zhao met in the garden. This slave is unsure why Consort Yuan punished Imperial Concubine Zhao to kneel for a while. It didn’t end until Consort Rou arrived and told Master Imperial Concubine Zhao to leave.”  

“When did this happen?” Feng Jin said on top his palanquin as strong eunuchs lifted it up, tone neutral.

“Ten days ago,” said Gao Dezhong carefully.

A cold smile slid across his lips. “After ten days, Imperial Concubine Zhao’s knees still had not healed?”  

Gao Dezhong hesitated before saying, “Originally, it should have healed. However, two days ago Consort Yuan and Imperial Concubine Zhao met again. What occurred then this slave does not know.”

Consort Yuan’s activities in the imperial palace were not things he had access to. However, what occurred in the garden was fair game for him. Regarding the matters of the imperial concubines, even if he were privy to them, he must act as if he were not.

Once Feng Jin heard those words, he did not speak. He also did not ask for more information. Even so, Gao Dezhong was very clear in his heart that the emperor was not in a good mood.

Zhuang Laoyan had watched the shrinking figure of Feng Jin. Then she lay down on her bed and looked at the servants in her room. “You can all leave. Just Yunxi and Tingzhu are enough to attend to me.”