88

After they had experienced a romantic afternoon on the swing, the emperor naturally visited Xihe Palace that night. And he shared a warm dinner with Zhuang Laoyan, warm in mood. They chatted about life and dreams, then shared a fiery moment in bed. After that, they fell asleep, completely satisfied.  

But in the imperial harem, many people could not catch the coattails of slumber. Despite this, night in the palace was the most quiet. Like a net of silence covering all the agitation hidden in the night.  

With the first roar of thunder, the empress sat up in bed, head full of sweat. She looked all around before slowly sighing in relief.   

“Your Majesty?” The palace maids on the night shift heard her action and moved right beyond the bed curtains to whisper, “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” The empress lifted open the gauze curtains. She looked out the window at the streaks of lightning in the sky. Frowned. “One would fear it would rain tonight. Perhaps this palace’s book from a few days ago, which only has one copy in the world, would grow damp.”  

She lifted her head. Caught sight of the palace maid standing there in a daze. Somewhat impatient, she said, “You’re dismissed.”  

“Yes.” Noticing that the empress practically did not seem any different from usual, the palace maid lowered her head and left.  

The empress dropped the curtain in passing. None of these servants were satisfactory.    

In Changtian House, Noble Lady Qian stood by the window in an unlined garment, gazing at the downpour outside. Somewhat depressed, she sighed. The roar of thunder proved tremendous tonight. How the emperor would coax Xianrong Zhao was anyone’s guess.  

In such loud thunder, even a pig would wake up. Zhuang Laoyan roused later than the emperor. Heard the rustle of the rain. Joyful, she said to the emperor, “Your Majesty, is it raining?”  

“Awake?” Feng Jin reached out and pulled her into his embrace. “It has already been raining for a while.”    

 “It looks like it will rain for many hours.” Zhuang Laoyan moved about to find a more comfortable position in the emperor’s arms. “This is great. Not long from now will be the planting season. Now that it’s raining, there will be enough water for the fields.”

“There hasn’t been a great drought this year. Most of the villages of the commoners have a water reservoir. They won’t lack water.”    

“Your Majesty is more knowledgeable than this concubine. This concubine has made a joke of myself.” Zhuang Laoyan pretended to cough from uneasiness, fingers unconsciously poking the emperor’s belly. “This concubine merely heard this from other people.”  

“It’s rare for you to feel this way.” Feng Jin laughed lowly. Grabbed the hand that was fiddling near his waist. “Beloved Concubine has trouble sleeping. We as well. How about…”   

During a thunderstorm at night, doing certain things was especially fun.  

The heavy rain stopped once the night ended. Zhuang Laoyan personally hung a sachet, one with a fortune character and auspicious clouds embroidered, on the relaxed and alert emperor’s body.  

“Did Beloved Concubine make this yourself?” Feng Jin picked up the sachet and gave it a look. He remembered that last year, Zhuang Laoyan made one for him too. He wore it a few times, before having Gao Dezhong store it away.   

 “This concubine is not skilled in the feminine arts.” Zhuang Laoyan stood up straight, averting her gaze in a somewhat embarrassed manner. “If Your Majesty doesn’t like it, do not hesitate to set it aside. Just don’t dislike it in front of me.”