62

TJOAIC 62 – DEATH BY CANING (杖毙)

Consort Ning’s¹temperament was similar to her title, calm and peaceful. She was a woman who could easily make people feel at ease to a great degree. She and Zhuang Laoyan did not have much interaction in the past. For this reason, they did not speak much as they drank tea.  

At present, everyone was watching her every move. Although she had to guard against those with ill intentions toward her, no one dared to be rude to her on the surface. This scenario where everyone was careful not to disrespect one made one feel extremely good. No wonder so many women wanted to be the most favored in the harem. Because power, luxury, and vanity came from the emperor’s favor.    

“Consort Ning’s tea always tastes better than what I have,” said Noble Consort Xian with a smile, setting down her teacup. “Even though I have the same tea in my palace, I still am unable to get the same taste.”  

“Such words are the truth. Usually, when His Majesty comes to my palace to drink tea, His Majesty always praises the tea of Elder Sister Consort Ning,” said Consort Rou with a smile. “Today, once I’ve drunk this tea, I truly feel that the ones in my palace are merely water used to wash pots.”    

“The words of Elder Sister Noble Consort Xian and Younger Sister Consort Rou causes me much embarrassment.” Although Consort Ning’s voice wasn’t melodious, it gave others a sense of comfort that could not be put into words. It suited her gentle temperament. And it even made Zhuang Laoyan, a woman, very fond of her.  

Something like approachability was also an effective implement in the imperial harem.   

She picked up a tea cup and blew lightly at the tea. The taste was mild, yet carried the fragrance of plum blossoms. It made her recall those female leads in transmigration novels, and how they relied on their skill in making delicious tea to capture the attention of important characters. Once she had thought of this, Zhuang Laoyan found herself somewhat incompetent. When it came to talents, she couldn’t recite poetry or paint. She couldn’t even brew tea. Not to mention, she couldn’t sing or dance. And she couldn’t even completely recite the “Art of War²” from the “Thirty-Six Stratagems³.” When it came to emotions, she had no way to make that man think only of her. She truly could not pass the lowest standards of a transmigration female lead.    

“What is Xianrong Zhao thinking about to be this distracted?” Consort Rou turned her head a hint to look at Zhuang Laoyan. At that angle, it seemed like she was looking at Zhuang Laoyan with arrogance.  

“This concubine is merely thinking that whenever His Majesty arrived at my residence, he would also dislike this concubine’s tea. Originally, this concubine did not know the reason for this. But now, that is no longer the case.” With reluctance, Zhuang Laoyan drank another sip. “His Majesty’s taste has been raised this high by Her Highness Consort Ning. A common person like this concubine cannot brew a good tea for His Majesty.”

“The words of Your Highness, Xianrong Zhao, are too polite. Who doesn’t know that the food that comes from your palace’s personal kitchen are all culinary delicacies.” Because Noble Imperial Concubine Yan had lost face a few days ago, she was completely hostile against Zhuang Laoyan, someone who had entered the palace after her yet outranked her as a xianrong. “Although your honored self does not have good tea, His Majesty will keep coming to you because of your gourmet food.”     

Other than to secretly mock her for using gourmet food to keep the emperor around, was there another intention?

In a lazy manner, Zhuang Laoyan looked at Noble Imperial Concubine Yan. “If Noble Imperial Concubine Yan likes any of my dishes, why don’t you share a meal with me in the future when you have the time?”