30

TJOAIC 30 – UNTITLED (无题)

Feng Jin accompanied Zhuang Laoyan for the whole morning, sharing the noon meal.   

He noticed that Chongyi Zhao did not have much of an appetite, but because he had personally handed the bowl of soup to her, she seemed to force herself to drink it. His heart softened at the sight. He set down his pair of silver chopsticks. “If you don’t feel like eating, it’s fine. Today, have Shangshi Bureau prepare some vegetable dishes, fruits, and dimsum.” Then he had the young eunuch by his side pass on the message to said department.  

“Your Majesty, this concubine is fine. It’s just that this concubine does not have much of an appetite. This concubine will recover soon.” Zhuang Laoyan worked hard to smile naturally. “Your Majesty has previously led 1,000 skilled soldiers to exterminate thousands of mountain bandits. Such soldiers were powerful and invincible. So how could this concubine be so scared and useless because of a small matter?”   

“We are a man and must naturally protect the country and its civilians,” said Feng Jin with a smile. “For women to be a little frail and delicate is fine.”     

“But this concubine is Your Majesty’s woman.” Zhuang Laoyan’s gaze proved serious. “Although this concubine does not need to fight to protect our country, this concubine at least does not wish to be a source of Your Majesty’s worry during busy court and state matters.” 

Laughter spilled from Feng Jin’s lips. Such a silly-to-the-point-of-adorable woman. In his opinion, the women of the imperial harem were only there to relax him. What did the imperial concubines being happy or sad had to do with him? However, when facing her earnest gaze, his heart and tone was gentle as he said, “We are truly happy that you are so thoughtful toward Us.” He noticed the smile on her face. And all of a sudden, he could not bear to see such sincere love aimed toward him.  

Wearing a sweet-tempered smile, Zhuang Laoyan picked up some food with her chopsticks, placing it into the emperor’s bowl. “For Your Majesty to feel joy is this concubine’s good fortune.”    

“You do not decline out of modesty at all.” Feng Jin picked up his chopsticks and ate the food that Zhuang Laoyan had given him. “For you to have said such words, are you waiting for Us to praise you?”   

“As the saying goes, one word from the emperor is equivalent to nine large cauldrons¹. Thus, Your Majesty is sincere in praising this concubine. How could this concubine not accept it? Not to mention each word is from the heart. And also, what would the previously said words have meant otherwise?” Zhuang Laoyan tilted her head as she smiled at Feng Jin. The previously pale face was now vibrant.  

Feng Jin took in the sight of her charming and pretty face and could not help but smile. He shook his head. “It’s such a rare event to not be able to praise and pamper a woman.”   

“This concubine is your woman. If Your Majesty does not pamper, then no one else would.” Zhuang Laoyan retracted the hand that had been previously holding a bowl of soup. “If Your Majesty speaks of this concubine in such a manner, then this concubine will not accompany you in eating anymore. This concubine cannot be praised or pampered.”  

“Now, even words cannot be spoken.” Feng Jin set down his chopsticks once more. Reached out and pulled the other party into his lap. He lightly slapped Zhuang Laoyan’s behind. “But you can still be hit.”  

“Your Majesty!” Zhuang Laoyan turned her body, hugging Feng Jin’s waist. She pinched it, then proudly lifted her head to look at him.

Feng Jin’s gaze fell upon her. Although his waist somewhat hurt, he continued to keep her on his lap. He was in high spirits, a smile gracing his lips. “Today, We can be considered to have learned something. Beloved concubine cannot be provoked, yelled at, or hit, and can only be praised and pampered.”