31

TJOAIC 31 - PROBING? (试探)

"Your Majesty, it's getting late. Your honored self should go rest." Gao Dezhong appeared from a corner. He said in a soft voice, "Sleeping late will harm the body."  

"What time is it right now?" Feng Jin set down his imperial brush. He looked outside the window. Pitch black.  

"Reporting to Your Majesty, it is already the period of Hai¹. " Gao Dezhong approached to push aside the brush. Noticing the emperor's quiet expression, he did not speak any further. After cleaning up the desk, he moved to the side.   

"How has the investigation of what happened at Taoyu Pavilion progressed?" Feng Jin left his main chamber. Took in the palace lit with small yellow glows, silent as water.  

"Reporting to Your Majesty, this slave is not clear about this matter. But this slave has heard that that night, someone saw a eunuch and a palace maid carrying something toward Taoyu Pavilion. Other than that, this slave does not know much." Gao Dezhong probingly said, "Perhaps only Chief Pan of the Yulin Guards would know."  

Feng Jin did not comment on that. Instead, he asked, "Has there been any action at the empress' side?"  

"Her Majesty the empress and the other high-ranking masters have sent nutritious and precious medicinal ingredients to Chongyi Zhao in order to calm her fears. Other than that, there haven't been any actions." Gao Dezhong did not know how the emperor truly felt about Chongyi Zhao. For this reason, he dared not speak too much or too little. "There aren't any movements from Chongyi Zhao's side either. For the past two days, Chongyi Zhao ate very little. However, she still ate her meals. This slave has noticed that other than paying respects to the empress, Chongyi Zhao does not seem to leave her residence."    

Feng Jin fell silent. After a while, he sighed, before waving. "Go rest." Then he returned to his inner chamber.  

It wasn't a secret in the imperial harem that Chongyi Zhao had been scared to the point of not leaving her residence often. The high-ranking masters indulged in schadenfreude. They regretted the fact that Chongyi Zhao had not actually been harmed.   

Early that day, all the imperial concubines went to pay respects to the empress. The empress looked at all the different types of beauties sitting before her. She smiled. "Lately, many things have happened in the imperial palace. You should all not worry about it too much. There will be His Majesty and this palace around. If anything happens, someone will be watching over you." Her gaze fell upon Zhuang Laoyan. "Has Chongyi Zhao been alright?"

"Thanking Your Majesty, the empress, for the concern. This concubine is already fine." Zhuang Laoyan rose to her feet to perform another ceremony of greeting. In the eyes of other people, she seemed frightened.  

Some of the imperial concubines smiled mockingly at her. In this imperial harem, how many people did not kill someone before? This Chongyi Zhao only saw three corpses and was already scared to such a state. Truly was not malicious enough. How could people like her survive in the harem?

"In my opinion, Chongyi Zhao is easily scared," said Xiuyi Su with a smile. "Those deaths have nothing to do with you, so why are you so afraid?"  

"This concubine has never seen such things before, and has let Xiuyi Su see a joke." Zhuang Laoyan flashed her a regretful smile.  

When others heard these words, people would think she was so scared because she had never seen corpses before. Then what did that say about those who weren't afraid?  

Noble Consort Shu felt helpless toward this cousin hers. Such a beautiful face, but the brain was useless. Could those words of Xiuyi Su be said in public?