66

TJOAIC 66 – COLD AND WARM

Zhuang Laoyan followed the crowd to the empress’ side palace hall. The empress and Noble Consort Shu were already present. Her brows twitched. After everyone had paid respects together, she sat down in her seat.  

“Today you all were invited because this palace has a question for Cairen Zhen.” The empress blew at the surface of her tea. She merely looked at Cairen Zhen from the corner of her eye. As though she were something that could not be seen in public.  

Once Cairen Zhen had heard the empress’ words, an ominous premonition rose in her heart. Her feet turned, and then she knelt on the ground.  

“What’s wrong, Cairen Zhen? This palace has yet to ask anything. Why have you been frightened into kneeling?” The empress set down her teacup. She still did not so much as glance at Cairen Zhen’s timid appearance.

“Your Majesty is the master of the imperial harem, the Mother of the World, and possesses a majestic presence. This concubine… this concubine…” Cairen Zhen was not very educated. For a moment, she could not think of a suitable adjective. The more anxious she felt, the less she knew what to say.     

“Are you saying that this palace is very frightening?” Arching a brow, the empress looked at Cairen Zhen. She snorted coldly. “This palace actually finds Cairen Zhen very daring. Otherwise, why did you make use of phosphor to stir up havoc in the palace?!”  

“Your Majesty, this concubine doesn’t know what Your Majesty means.” Cairen Zhen widened her eyes, not understanding why blame suddenly fell upon her.

“Your birth is humble and cheap. It’s only because you have a bit of Noble Consort Shu’s talents that the emperor conferred you the position of cairen. Who would have known you would envy the favored imperial concubines, causing the death of a palace maid and trying to frame someone for it? If it weren’t for the fact that the phosphor betrayed you, this palace would still be in the dark about this: that not only can Cairen Zhen dance, but she can also scheme.”  

No matter how one looked at the empress’ words, there was a sense of wanting to inspire the hatred of Noble Consort Shu and Consort Rou. In passing, Zhuang Laoyan looked at those two. Speaking of which, Consort Rou was also very suspicious. Back then, the palace maid the empress dowager had caned to death had been a servant of Consort Rou. And the palace maid who died at the pond side had also been hers. If it wasn’t for the fact that Zhuang Laoyan didn’t think Consort Rou was this stupid, she would be suspicous of her for both deaths.    

“Your Majesty, this concubine was wrongly accused! This concubine doesn’t know why someone would die at the pond side, and knows even less why such a strange thing occurred. May Your Majesty investigate clearly!” Even if Cairen Zhen was stupid, she would still understand that the empress was talking about the occurrence at Xihe Palace’s lotus pond. However, what did that have to do with her?  

“You shout that you’ve been wrongly accused, but one would fear you are wondering how this matter was exposed.” Then the empress lazily asked, “Since you say you don’t know, then why are you aware something strange happened at the lotus pond? The emperor had placed a gag order on this matter. An ordinary imperial concubine would be unaware of what happened. So why are you so clear on this?”  

“After this concubine left my residence, this concubine coincidentally heard two palace maids talking about this from behind an artificial mountain,” blurted Cairen Zhen. “This matter has nothing to do with this concubine!”     

“Previously, some palace maids discussed this in secret. And they’ve already been caned to death. How could there be palace maids who don’t care about living discussing such things where people often passed by? Cairen Zhen, your excuses are rather clumsy,” said the empress. “This palace has already investigated. The blue flames on the palace maid’s body were made from phosphor. The imperial concubines would not know such tricks from the lowest professions. Only you, who have a humble and cheap birth, would know those sideshow performers in the palace. As such, this palace investigated you. Just as expected, you are involved.”