85

After Xianrong Zhao had fainted again and an imperial physician had examined her, he sighed and said the following: Xianrong Zhao had lost a lot of blood in her last injury, and as such now had a weak body. Thus, she must recuperate properly. Otherwise, she would haveheadaches in the future.  

Before the people of the harem received the emperor’s bestowments for Imperial Concubine Hu, the emperor sent out a second imperial decree: Imperial Concubine Hu would be demoted to a sixth-rank liangyi, moved from the side palace hall of Ruanming Palace to the back hall.   

In the short span of a day, Hu Caixuan fell from a consort to an imperial concubine. Then after Xianrong Zhao had fainted, she was demoted to a little liangyi. Such an occurrence was rare in the imperial harem. And it made those of the harem afraid of Xihe Palace. If there was nothing going on, they would not make things difficult for Xihe Palace’s people. Thankfully Xihe Palace’s conduct was the same as always. Otherwise, there would be many issues in the harem.    

In Xihe Palace, Zhuang Laoyan ate a cherry from a bowl that was specially chosen with care. Listening as Fu Bao mentioned some entertaining gossip of the harem, she couldn’t help but yawn. “Word has it that Liangyi Hu is now praying sincerely to Buddha?”  

“That’s what the rumors say. However this slave thinks that isn’t the case.” Fu Bao hesitated for a moment. “This slave heard that the second prince, whom Liangyi Hu had fostered, was also brought to the rear palace hall of Ruanming Palace. And he isn’t close with Noble Consort Xian. The Eldest Prince, whom Noble Consort Xian fostered, got into fights with Second Prince a few times. It even startled the emperor. In all likelihood, Her Highness Noble Consort Xian is very unhappy about this.”  

“It’d be strange if she could be happy.” Zhuang Laoyan set down the jasper bowl with the cherries. She changed her sitting position. Said in a lazy manner, “Since young, Eldest Prince was raised by her side. Second Prince is already a few years old, and has long since been able to remember things. Even if she raises him now, he wouldn’t be as close to her as the Eldest Prince is. Moreover, he often visits Liangyi Hu. As for Noble Consort Xian, Second Prince is merely an ungrateful thing that can’t become close to her.” The eldest prince seemed to be close with Noble Consort Xian right now. In the future, when he grew up, he would naturally think of his birth mother. Then the mother-and-son relationship between them would be affected. Thus, it’s better to raise a child that one gave birth to. Other people’s children could not compare to one’s own.

“Currently, there are only two imperial princes in the palace. And the emperor gave both to Noble Consort Xian to raise. It’s evident that she has a special place in his heart.” Tingzhu put away the jasper bowl, softly massaging Zhuang Laoyan’s shoulders. “Originally, there were rumors that Second Prince would be given to Anqing Palace’s Noble Consort Shu to raise. But in the end, he was given to Consort Ning… to Liangyi Hu for some reason. Word has it that ever since then, the relationship between Noble Consort Shu and Consort Ning cooled. Now, Noble Consort Shu must be mocking Liangyi Hu.”    

Why would such an intelligent and favored woman like Noble Consort Shu want to raise someone else’s child? It wasn’t as if she couldn’t give birth. Zhuang Laoyan smiled. With her personality, during those circumstances, Noble Consort Shu probably didn’t want to raise Second Prince at all. Hu Caixuan schemed to get the child by her side. As for Noble Consort Shu, she only held a grudge toward her for scheming to take what belonged to her. She didn’t really care about Second Prince.  

“Your Highness, a messenger eunuch has arrived to announce an imperial decree. Tonight, we must prepare for His Majesty’s visit,” said Yunxi with a joyful expression as she entered the room. “The messenger added that His Majesty specially said Master’s body is still weak and does not need to wait by the palace gates for the imperial sedan.”