74

No matter the reason the emperor visited Xihe Palace, Zhuang Laoyan dressed up the way she usually did. She would not put on any makeup, her hair would be smooth and carry a fragrance, and her clothes would be loose. After all, when the emperor visited an imperial concubine at night, it was either to chat with her or make love to her. It wasn’t to watch her remove her makeup, take off her hair accessories, and take off her clothes.  

After all, it was better to take the emperor’s breath away with one’s beauty in broad daylight. “Nightly activities” were more suitable at night.    

Once Feng Jing arrived at Xihe Palace, he wasn’t surprised to see Zhuang Laoyan at the front doors. He disembarked from his sedan and supported her to her feet. “The recent days make up the cold snap of the spring. Beloved Concubine should be more careful about your health.”

“This concubine has dressed very warmly. Your Majesty mustn’t worry.” Zhuang Laoyan rubbed the clasped hands of the emperor and her own with her free hand. “Why is Your Majesty’s hand this cold? This concubine has prepared hot soup. Your honored self should have some to warm the body.”    

Feng Jin patted the back of Zhuang Laoyan’s hand with his own. “Don’t worry. We were merely blown by the wind a little.” Then he brought her inside.  

Within Xihe Palace, there was no special scent of incense. There was merely the scent of grass. This was Zhuang Laoyan’s specialty. Whenever Feng Jin arrived at her residence, there was always a natural fragrance. For example, during June, there would be the smell of peaches; during July, there would be the smell of lotuses. August would carry the scent of mint. In any case, there were scents that caused people to feel comfortable both in their hearts and minds. Therefore, during the hottest point of last year, he preferred staying over at her place. When it was very hot, although other imperial concubines would have a lot of ice placed in their residences, who would want to smell that blend of incense that attacked the senses?   

Personally placing a bowl ofpeanut, barley, and taro ball soup in front of the emperor, Zhuang Laoyan smiled as she said, “Your Majesty, this is something this concubine had the personal kitchen make by simmering. Have a taste.”

Within the celadon bowl was soup with a very strong fragrance. It gave Feng Jin, who had bore the cold wind on his way here, an appetite. He received a silver spoon from Zhuang Laoyan and took a sip. The soup seemed to warm him all the way to his stomach.    

“Delicious. We haven’t experienced such a soup before. It seems the chef of your personal kitchen has some ability.” After taking a few more sips, Feng Jin set the bowl back down. Once he rinsed his mouth, he smiled as he looked at Zhuang Laoyan. “It looks like if We ever want to taste some gourmet food in the future, We should come to Beloved Concubine’s residence.”   

“If Your Majesty likes this dessert, we can transfer this chef to the Imperial Kitchen.” Proud of herself, Zhuang Laoyan smiled. “However, this concubine was the one who taught them how to make this soup. Later on, if this concubine comes up with other recipes, this concubine will have someone teach this chef.”    

  “Since it’s you who came up with the recipe, what do We need this chef for? Having you is enough.” Feng Jing smiled. He noticed that she seemed emotionally moved, and stood to wrap a hand around her waist. “It’s getting late. Beloved Concubine and We should retire.”  

Upon seeing this, the servants in attendance rushed forward to let down the curtains. Then they gave the emperor and Xianrong Zhao some privacy.    

Gao Dezhong led a few palace maids and eunuchs outside the layers upon layers of curtains, waiting in silence should the masters have any command. Standing across from him were the two head palace maids of Xihe Palace. Smiling he said, “Just now, it seemed Xianrong Zhao’s hands were a bit red. Did Xianrong Zhao personally cook for His Majesty?”