27

TJOAIC 27 – PEACHES AND AN INSEPARABLE COUPLE (桃与鸳鸯)

Zhuang Laoyan’s gaze fell upon Tingzhu, who was kneeling before her. She took a sip of the tea made from the tea leaves the emperor had just given her. “I’m punishing you to kneel for thirty minutes. After that, you may rise. Perform your duties as usual. Understand?” 

“This slave thanks master for the kindness.” Tingzhu kowtowed three times, gratitude in her heart. In the house were several basins of ice, so it wasn’t that hot. For her master to have her kneel here, how could she not know that her master sympathized with her? If it were a different master, after they discovered this matter, would they still allow her to stay? She only received such a little punishment. It was already a huge kindness.   

Actually, Zhuang Laoyan did not believe in such superstitions. However, this bit of news had been deliberately uncovered by Noble Imperial Concubine Yan and given to her. If Zhuang Laoyan did not respond even a little, it would reflect poorly on her. But the method of punishment was up to her hands. Tingzhu was a servant who was clever, wise, and able to grasp the situation quickly. She did not have the heart to throw her away.    

When the entire harem thought the emperor would not flip a name tag, the emperor visited Jingyang Palace two nights in a row. The empress was the emperor’s principal wife. The other concubines did not have a reason to be jealous. 

On the third night, the emperor visited Noble Consort Shu. The next day, he quickly bestowed her many gifts. It seemed that the favor Noble Consort Shu received had not decreased.  

After Noble Consort Shu was Zhaorong Xu, Consort Ning, and Consort Xian. It made the imperial concubines think that the emperor changed his habit of rarely visiting the harem during the summer.  

After the above group of women had been visited once each time, the emperor did not flip a name tag for two nights. It really confused the imperial concubines.  

“Your Majesty, the interior supervision eunuch has come to pay respects.” Once Gao Dezhong said these words, Feng Jin knew he was here to ask if he would flip a name tag.    

“Allow him entrance.” Feng Jin stopped his hand. Gao Dezhong approached to receive his brush, and saw upon the paper a large character of “Kong¹,” flamboyant and bold, a flying dragon and dancing phoenix.

Once the interior supervision eunuch knelt before Feng Jin, Feng Jin shifted his gaze to the tray of name tags. Suddenly he said, “Are the peaches at Taoyu Pavilion almost ripe?”   

Gai Dezhong was shocked. He quickly said, “Perhaps they are good to eat now. However, they are not fully ripe.”  

“Not yet ripe has its own advantages.” Feng Jin lifted a name tag. “We have not visited Chongyi Zhao in a while. Tonight let’s go to Taoyu Pavilion.”  

Now that she knew she’d have to book a night with the emperor, Zhuang Laoyan ate the peaches that had been picked from the forest outside. She narrowed her eyes as she took in the light of the room. Took a bite. Half of the peach gone.  

When Feng Jin had finished going through all the memorials and proposals, it was still early. Then he saw Gao Dezhong rush in. “What happened?”

“The empress dowager had one of Master Rou’s maidservants beaten to death by rod.”  

“What’s the reason?” Feng Jin’s tone did not change.  

Gao Dezhong did not dare to even wipe the sweat on his forehead. “This slave has heard that that palace maid was in a rush and bumped into the empress dowager’s procession.”