90

Lately, the emperor liked paying Xihe Palace nightly visits. But not every night did they roll around in the sheets. Thus, Zhuang Laoyan realized that Emperor Chengxuan was an emperor with a lot of self control.

When they were not making love, he would tell her about some insignificant matters that did not involve the court. Sometimes, he would even discuss all sorts of monsters from the “Classic of Mountain and Sea.” Zhuang Laoyan thought, The emperor probably realized that discussing poems and songs with me was like playing a lute to a cow. And that chatting a bit about mythology, monsters, and other supernatural things would interest me instead.

“Within the crooked mountain lay a beast. It was shaped like a horse with a white body and a black tail. At the front of its head sprouted a horn. Its claws were akin to a tiger’s. Its voice was akin to the banging of a drum. This beast was called Bo. It ate tigers and leopards, and could be used like an army for battle.”

After hearing those words, Zhuang Laoyan couldn’t help but say, “It’s so difficult to be born with that kind of appearance. It looks like a horse, yet has the claws of a tiger. With such a body, it shouldn’t be too fast when it runs, so how could it hunt and eat the quick leopards?”

“That’s why this is only a legend.” Feng Jin smiled at her disdain toward it. “If there really was such a strange thing in this world, one would fear that every emperor would strive to raise one. Who wouldn’t like a mythological beast capable of fighting in battle?”

“If that’s the case, whichever country Your Majesty finds an eyesore, we won’t have to do anything. Just throw a drought-causing feiyi or flood-causing changyou at them. Wouldn’t that save us a lot of trouble?” Zhuang Laoyan yawned. “They’re just stories to trick children.”

Everyone revered the spirits and demons. But as the emperor, Feng Jin did not like the commoners revering the spirits and demons to an excessive degree. What a pity that this had already been etched into the commoners’ bones. And so he took advantage of and exploited these popular sentiments. Now that a woman from his harem disdained these legendary mythological beasts so frankly, he felt unspeakably moved at once.

Sometimes, how much knowledge one possessed had nothing to do with how much they studied. Not all of the court officials Feng Jin used were top three scorers of the Imperial Examinations. Yet, they had immense ability.

“That’s why these are only myths.” Feng Jin laughed, stroking Zhuang Laoyan’s hair. A light sigh left his lips. “It would be great if it was that easy to govern the world. It’s getting late. Sleep.”

Hearing the emperor’s sigh, Zhuang Laoyan sighed with emotion. Sure enough, every ambitious emperor would not believe in legends and myths, merely exploiting these spirits and demons for their own agenda. They didn’t even think twice about it.

When Feng Jin woke up early in the morning, he saw Zhuang Laoyan nestled against his chest. He lay back down for a moment. Then, he let the palace servants who were waiting outside the drapery come in. Once he was fully dressed, he turned his head to look in the direction of the bed. The person lying on it opened her eyes in a daze, one hand reaching toward him unconsciously. Afterward, she slowly came to her senses. Opened wide her moist and hazy eyes.

“Your Majesty is awake?” said Zhuang Laoyan, as if she never expected that she would sleep so heavily. In a rather awkward manner, she sat up, pulling at the hair by her chest. “This concubine slept a bit deeply.”

“It’s not your fault. We chatted with you for a long time last night.” Feng Jin raised his head, letting a palace maid adjust his collar. “Have a good rest. Tomorrow’s trip to the farms will be exhausting. The Bureau of Astronomy said that it will be sunny tomorrow.”