24

TJOAIC 24 – THE EMPRESS DOWAGER (太后)

“Why is Master helping Imperial Concubine Wang?” asked Tingzhu, carefully helping Zhuang Laoyan massage her shoulders. “This slave feels that even though Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang and Imperial Concubine Wang do not have many enemies, they cannot be considered good allies.”

“Currently, these two can only help themselves. How could they help me? I just didn’t want to accrue more enemies.” Zhuang Laoyan leaned against her chair in a lazy manner. As if she had no bones in her body. “Today, the emperor saw me and Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang together. In fact, she could be considered to have given me good advice. In the imperial harem, one could lack anything except sympathy.” Not to mention, today Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang had purposely mentioned Imperial Concubine Wang’s illness. Perhaps she had hoped Zhuang Laoyan would give her a hand.    

Tingzhu immediately understood. However, when she remembered Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang advising her master not place her heart in the emperor’s hands, her heart suddenly trembled. For she also recalled that two months ago, among the peach blossoms, the words her master had said. She did not know what to say.

After lifting her head once more, she saw that her master had already closed her eyes. Tingzhu stopped what she was doing. Gestured to the palace maid fanning her master from the back to fan more lightly. Then she rose to her feet and left without a sound.  

“Is Master asleep?” Yunxi carried a bowl of pickled plum ice soup and saw Tingzhu exit the room. Then she glanced inside. In a soft voice, she said, “I’ll place this soup in the ice basin.”    

“Master had eaten an ice bowl not too long ago. So to place this pickled plum soup there and not have master eat it this instant will be good too.” Tingzhu checked the sky for the time. Wiped away the beads of sweat on her forehead. “This year’s weather cannot be considered hot. During the hottest day last year, the emperor, empress dowager, empress, and the more favored imperial concubines left for the summer villa.”  

“Last year indeed was sweltering.” Yunxi recalled that one year ago, the Zhuang estate had prepared to send her master into the palace. Now, her master was already a lesser third-rank chongyi. The days had passed so quickly.  

“Tingzhu, Yunxi, the people from the Department of the Palace asked if our master had enough ice. If not, they will immediately send some,” said Fubao after he ran over, sweat clinging to his head.  

“Her Highness is napping at the moment. There’s still ice available for now. Tell them to send some once noon has passed.” Tingzhu thought for a moment, before saying, “Don’t forget to reward those servants.”

“Understood,” said Fubao, nodding. “I will let them know.”

Night arrived late during the summer. Zhuang Laoyan wore a muslin dress, enjoying the breeze sitting by the window. But after a while, she realized there was a strange light in the northwest direction. She drew her brows together. Then loud noises came from the outside. It seemed something big had occurred. 

“Master,” said Yunxi as she rushed into the room. Yet her face was free of fright. “The northwestern Ruiqing Palace has caught fire.”

“Ruiqing Palace?” The name of this residence sounded extremely important. However, there shouldn’t have been an imperial concubine living there. After a quick thought, she asked, “Who lives there?”  

“It’s the resting palace of the abandoned consort, Miss Wei. The abandoned Consort Wei and her son Prince Gou (means dirty) had been placed in house arrest there.” Tingzhu’s expression was darker than Yunxi’s. She had worked in the imperial palace longer than her, and naturally learned of some of its shameful secrets.