26

TJOAIC 26 – A GOOD SHOW (好戏)

A teacup fell to the ground, shattering into pieces.  

The empress dowager rose to her feet, her expression neutral. “This grieving one’s hand shook. Clean it up.”  

“Understood,” said the palace maid, quickly kneeling.  

The empress dowager glanced at the shattered teacup. Turned to return to her inner chamber.  

A few days passed. During these days, the emperor did not flip any of the imperial concubines’ name tags. The empress dowager also did not interfere. Naturally, the empress still had a stable-as-a-mountain position in Jingyang Palace. The whole imperial harem was as still as a ghost.    

In the sweltering heat, no one was interested in taking a stroll in the garden. Zhuang Laoyan also was not that stupid to walk around everywhere, and stayed in her residence. Everyone could tell that the empress dowager wanted to interfere with the harem. It’s just that the empress pretended to be dumb and not understand her intention. The emperor also was unwilling to let that happen.  

Two days ago, a low-ranking imperial concubine who could not see clearly went to kiss the empress dowager’s ass. Yesterday, the empress picked apart her wrongs and admonished her. Looked like the empress was ruthless. And the emperor did not give much of a reaction to what the empress had done. This made things even more clear.    

“Master, those people from Kang’an Palace have arrived. They said that the empress dowager has invited your honored self to come watch a show at Kang’an Palace in the afternoon.” Yunxi rushed over and said in a low voice, “This slave has heard that many other masters will be attending.”    

“Watch a show?” Zhuang Laoyan arched a brow. How could the show on stage be as good to watch as the shows off stage? What was the empress dowager’s motive for doing this?   

“Since the empress dowager has requested this, how can I reject?” Zhuang Laoyan lazily stood. “I’ll be taking a nap. Wake me up in the afternoon.”  

Tingzhu and Yunxi shared a look. Seeing their master’s appearance, they thought there wouldn’t be a big problem. They retreated in a relieved manner.

“Whom did the empress dowager invite?” Noble Consort Shu lay on a chaise lounge as two palace maids attended to her. Even her words were more lazy than usual.    

“Responding to master, this slave has heard that the empress, Consort Xian, Consort Ning, Consort Rou, Zhaorong Xu, Shurong Ye, Su Xiuyi, Chongyi Zhao, Noble Imperial Concubine Yan, Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang, Imperial Concubine Lin, and Ronghua Ye will be attending,” Lingsha said in a soft voice.  

“That’s a lot of people.” Noble Consort Shu’s smile proved charming. “But the empress dowager actually invited Imperial Concubine Lin?”  

“This slave thinks that the empress dowager invited Imperial Concubine Lin to cover up the invitation to the demoted Ronghua Ye.”

“Who knows what the real reason is?” Noble Consort Shu opened her eyes. “No matter what, this will be the empress and empress dowager’s stage. We’ll get to see a good show.”  

Once the noon meal concluded, Zhuang Laoyan dressed up in a serious and proper manner. She sat on her sedan and quickly left for Kang’an Palace. The noon sun was hot and blinding. She reached out and covered her forehead with a hand, blocking the sun as much as she could. Squinting, she looked at the procession before her. If she was not mistaken, it should belong to the emperor.