58

TJOAIC 58 – MASK (面具)

As the imperial concubines were paying respects to the empress, just as expected, there were many who, under the guise of being deeply concerned over Zhuang Laoyan, stabbed her with a soft knife¹. Among them, Noble Imperial Concubine Yan and Xiuyi Su were the most ruthless. However, Zhuang Laoyan did not give them much of a response. She only put on a hurt appearance. After she let everyone think they had succeeded in making her depressed, she put on the sorrowful appearance of a woman after a miscarriage.   

As for the other imperial concubines, they happily watched this show, not helping either side.  

After the empress watched the show for a while and saw Zhuang Laoyan’s expression grow worse and worse, she said, “It seems the new year will arrive the day after tomorrow. We ought to pay respects to the empress dowager.”  

Surprised, Zhuang Laoyan arched a brow. She had thought the empress dowager went back into seclusion. She recalled when the empress dowager had interfered in the harem in the past, then inexplicably returned to Kang’an Palace to pray to Buddha. After that, she no longer interfered with the imperial harem. Zhuang Laoyan couldn’t understand. She didn’t know whether it was the empress or the emperor who had done this, who had caused the empress dowager to stop interfering with the harem.

There were also the palace maids and eunuchs that had been struck to death by lightning. Not to mention, why did the empress dowager have a palace maid caned to death? Such an action did not conform to her benevolent facade.    

Noble Imperial Concubine Yan noticed that Zhuang Laoyan had her head lowered without a word. And she thought she was still traumatized by the miscarriage. A smile graced her lips. “Xiuyi Zhao’s complexion doesn’t look good. Are you unwell?”  

“Thank you Noble Imperial Concubine Yan for the concern. I’m fine.” Zhuang Laoyan forced a smile, getting up from her seat with everyone. From her weak appearance, everyone could tell that she hadn’t recovered yet.

Noble Imperial Concubine Yan watched as Zhuang Laoyan left with the support of her maidservant’s hand. She snorted in a cold and quiet manner. “Who’s she putting on this pitiful appearance for?”    

Consort Rou, who was passing her by, arched a brow as she glanced at her. With a fake smile, she softly said, “You might not like to see it, but others do.”  

Consort Rou did not explicitly say who, but everyone knew who she was referring to. Noble Imperial Concubine Yan glared at Zhuang Laoyan’s back resentfully, before glancing at Consort Rou who had on a fake smile. She curled her lip and then caught up with the others.  

Within the empress dowager’s Kang’an Palace drifted the faint scent of sandalwood incense. In a docile manner, Zhuang Laoyan listened as the empress dowager and the empress greeted one another amicably. It really made it hard for others to see the two’s prior open strife and veiled struggle.

“This grieving one heard that Chongyi Zhao had miscarried?” asked the empress dowager, finally moving the subject of conversation to Zhuang Laoyan.  

Everyone present was aware that the Ye family was the empress dowager’s paternal family. Both the Ye family sisters had been demoted, and both demotions involved miscarriages. Now that the empress dowager brought this up, and referred to Zhuang Laoyan as a chongyi, everyone could tell the empress dowager didn’t like her.  

Expression not faltering, the empress replied, “Imperial Mother, His Majesty has recently promoted Younger Sister Zhuang to a xiuyi.”    

“Oh, this grieving one had yet to know that. This grieving one only knew that Wange was demoted to a noble lady. Why did this happen?” The empress dowager stopped the empress from responding, turning to Zhuang Laoyan. “Chongyi Zhao, tell me what happened.”