37

TJOAIC 37 – FAMILIAL LOVE? (亲情?)

The emperor, empress, and the other imperial concubines sat at the main hall. The moment Zhuang Laoyan had stepped foot inside, she noticed how terrible the expressions of everyone were.     

Once the eunuchs had announced her arrival, the people in the room knew that Zhuang Laoyan was there. They watched as she entered the hall in a well-behaved and courteous manner. And they all shared a look. It was clear to them that another actor had arrived for the show.  

After Zhuang Laoyan had performed a full ceremony of paying respects, Feng Jin raised a hand. “No need to stand on ceremony.” Then he ordered the servants by him to direct her to a seat, and did not speak any further.   

The empress looked at the inconspicuous appearance of Zhuang Laoyan. She said, “Has Chongyi Zhao also come to visit Third Prince?”    

Zhuang Laoyan turned to the side slightly and lowered her head. “Reporting to Your Majesty the empress, after this concubine heard that Third Prince had fallen ill, this concubine came to pay a visit. How is Third Prince’s condition right now?”  

“The imperial physicians strived their best to heal him. Just now, His Majesty summoned a Yuyi¹.” The empress sighed. “We only hope that Third Prince will make it out safely.”  

Zhuang Laoyan went along with the empress’ conversation a bit longer, and then no longer spoke. It seemed the empress did not want to speak much as well. Once more, the room fell silent.  

“Your Majesty, Third Prince’s ailment has taken a turn for the worse. This official wants to use acupuncture to save him. However…” Trembling, the imperial physician dropped to his knees. It was clear he was out of ideas on how to treat Third Prince.  

“Once the Yuyi arrives, discuss with him,” said Feng Jin, countenance dark. “We order you to do whatever you can to save him. If you require anything, just let Us know.”    

“Yes.” Cold sweat drenched the imperial physician’s forehead. After he had heard the emperor’s words, he released a sigh of relief. From what the emperor had said, it seemed even if they could not cure Third Prince, they could still keep their lives.  

Consort Xian, whose eyes were red and swollen, continued to wipe her tears as she carefully peeked at the emperor. Noticing his cold and impassive mood, her heart chilled all of a sudden. She no longer dared to look at him.  

The atmosphere in the room turned gloomy again, until the Yuyi arrived. Only then did the people present grow more energetic. Zhuang Laoyan glanced at the physicians that normally only treated the emperor. Apart from that, the emperor could send them to treat others as a display of his favor. Normal people did not have the privilege.    

The Yuyis had only entered the room for fifteen minutes when they returned outside with grave expressions. The leader of the Yuyis said, “Your Majesty, there is nothing that this official can do.”  

Feng Jin’s expression gradually darkened. “Just what is the reason?”  

“Third Prince caught a cold and now suffers from diarrhea and a persistent fever. One would fear… it would bode ill rather than well.” The Yuyi kowtowed, waiting for the emperor’s fury. 

Once she had heard those words, Consort Xian was the first to cry out. In the quiet room, it was very conspicuous, but it also sounded natural to others.   

Zhuang Laoyan scanned the room, looking at all the distressed imperial concubines. Then she lowered her head, hiding her expressionless gaze. Which of these women had actually seen Third Prince before? Those who weren’t indulging in schadenfreude already had a conscience. To display such an appearance of deep grief was merely lying to other people and themselves.