100

Ever since news of Zhuang Laoyan’s pregnancy broke out, Xihe Palace received many bestowments. She looked at the numerous gifts sent by the Zhuang family. Yawned. She, who had originally been lazy, grew even lazier as of recent.  

“Your Highness, it’s starting to rain. Your honored self should put on more clothes.” Yunxi draped an outer garment over Zhuang Laoyan’s shoulders. Noticing her tired appearance and lack of energy, she said, “If Your Highness is bored, how about we have the Department of the Palace send over some interesting playthings?”   

The Department of the Palace was in charge of the rear palace’s necessities and supplies. The emperor would not allow the women of the harem to place their hands on it; he put the Department of the Palace on a tight leash. As such, if imperial concubines wanted to harm anyone using that department, they first had to possess complete confidence that they wouldn’t be caught.  

Zhuang Laoyan understood what Yunxi meant. But right now, she was not interested in raising pets. Since she was already pregnant, if she raised other living things now, it would be irresponsible toward her fetus. There were no measures to prevent disease in this place. If something infected her, there’d be no point in even crying.  

“No way. Who knows if anyone else has touched those cats and dogs?” said Tingzhu, entering the room with a bowl of soup. She placed it on a small round table. Then she glanced out the window. “Your Highness is with child presently, and cannot be careless at all.”    

Seeing this appearance of Tingzhu, Yunxi smiled at once. “So serious. Now, our Miss Tingzhu is about to enter the battlefield.”  

“It’s not just me. Don’t just single me out. All the servants in the palace are the same. Who isn’t careful at this moment?” Worry filled Tingzhu’s heart. “It’s not just this. Recently, some strange things entered the kitchen.”  

Today, there would be some newly-arrived hawthorn fruit and crab.Tomorrow, there would be some adlai grains and almonds. If it weren’t for the fact that Yunxi knew their medicinal properties, who knew what would have happened?  

As they were in the middle of talking about this, they caught sight of Fu Bao entering the room with a face full of smiles. Behind him, two older female servants. And behind them, a palace maid carrying all sorts of playthings.  

After saluting, Fu Bao explained that the two older female servants were to serve Zhuang Laoyan for the duration of her pregnancy. They appeared nothing out of the ordinary, presentable in attire. From their bearing, they seemed capable and experienced. In all likelihood, they were.  

Zhuang Laoyan had Yunxi personally arrange their quarters. Following that, she rewarded them a few things. Surprised filled her regarding how much energy the emperor had spent on this.  

“This grieving one’s son has actually bestowed her two older female servants specialized in pregnancies,” mocked the empress dowager after hearing the news. “When my niece was pregnant, he wasn’t as wholehearted as this.”

The older female servant by her side replied, “Perhaps it’s because Her Highness Consort Zhao miscarried last year. Thus, His Majesty is more worried than usual. That woman’s previous child died, so it will be very difficult for her next fetus to be stable. Consort Zhao’s unborn child is only two to three months old… She ought to be very careful in all aspects.”  

“She sure has courage, daring to come out during this dangerous period.” The empress dowager snorted, ice-cold. Although she wasn’t in a good mood, she didn’t want to say too much. Although she did not like Zhuang Laoyan, she was unlikely to go as far as to make things unpleasant between herself and the emperor.