49

TJOAIC 49 – PREGNANT? (有孕?)

Before they knew when Changfeng Country’s crown prince would arrive at Jiuzhou Country, winter had already set foot. The imperial concubines changed into many different styles of winter attire. Every palace received coal to keep warm. When it came to the women of the harem, a little Changfeng Country coming to pay homage wasn’t as important as whom the emperor bestowed items again to today.

Peeling a tangerine, Zhuang Laoyan sighed in a lazy manner. Stared at the snow tumbling from the sky. She placed the tangerine into the porcelain plate full of tangerines. She received a handheld brazier from Yunxi. “The snow is growing heavier and heavier today.” The place where she had used to live in her previous life seldom snowed. Even if it did, there would only be a thin layer;  one could not see a sight where a cover of white stretched throughout the lands.

“Master is bored?” Yunxi picked up the half-peeled tangerine, gently peeling the rest before placing it back on the porcelain dish. A smile graced her lips. “If Master isn’t afraid of getting cold, we can take a trip to the plum blossom garden and admire the flowers. This slave has heard that His Majesty also likes to admire the plum blossoms.”

Zhuang Laoyan shifted her weight, finding another comfortable sitting position. With a fake smile, she said, “It’s best to admire the plum blossoms in silence. It just so happens that the plum blossoms in that garden are beautiful. Seems the other sisters of the palace often go there. I will not join in the excitement.”     

Yunxi parted her lips. But in the end, she did not say anything. She had followed this master for a long time. Sometimes her master seemed head over heels in love with the emperor. Sometimes, it was hard to tell whether her master truly loved the emperor.  

“Master, the Department of the Palace has sent the allotment of silver coal¹and seasonal fruits for the next few days,” said Tingzhu as she entered the inner chamber. In her hands was a plate with black grapes that came as tribute. 

“During the cold of winter, it’s hard on the eunuchs to deliver things. Give them some money and a cup of hot tea.” Zhuang Laoyan knew that these black grapes had come from another country. It was truly difficult to maintain their freshness. That Xihe Palace could obtain a plate of it was already hard to come by.    

“Master, be at ease. This slave has already rewarded them.” Tingzhu placed the plate down. When she had talked with the eunuchs, she heard a small rumor. Although she could treat it as untrue, it was boring in the palace, so she used it to chase away the boredom.    

“You said that yesterday, Noble Imperial Concubine Yan coincidentally encountered the emperor?” asked Zhuang Laoyan with much interest after Tingzhu had relayed what she had heard.

“Reporting to Master, word has it that last night, His Majesty stayed overnight at Noble Imperial Concubine Yan’s residence. Early this morning, she received many bestowments.” Tingzhu sent a careful glance at Zhuang Laoyan. And saw that her expression was normal, before mentioning what Noble Imperial Concubine Yan had received.    

Zhuang Laoyan sneered in her heart. As the emperor, in his eyes the women of the harem were merely playthings. One would fear that as the women wracked their brains to gain favor, it was merely a joke for him.  

“Master, an eunuch from the interior department has said that His Majesty flipped your honored self’s name tag tonight,” said Fubao after he entered the room, face bright with joy.   

“I know.” Zhuang Laoyan tried her best to show a shy and joyful expression. Following that, she turned to look at the snowy scene outside the window, hiding the calmness in her gaze.