23

TJOAIC 23 – POTTED PLANT (盆栽)

In the imperial harem, what was more empty and dimly discernible than the emperor’s love? Ever since Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang had entered the palace, she had not been favored much. Occasionally, the emperor would visit her chambers. After facing the handsome emperor, she had found her heart moved. This emperor was the first and only man she ever had. Not to mention, he was so handsome. 

However, it’s been too long. Watching as this man frequented many other women, watching as he looked at her with impassive eyes, she slowly ceased those thoughts of love. Although living in the imperial harem in peace and safety could not be considered a grand life, it wasn’t as hard to endure as being thrown into the Cold Palace. The Jiang family had settled in Jiangnan for many generations. For this reason, the other imperial concubines had never treated her too poorly.  

Today, Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang saw from Chongyi Zhao’s eyes the love that she couldn’t conceal. And then realization struck her. She had thought that after the emperor had ignored Chongyi Zhao, the other woman grew smarter, rising from a wanyi to a chongyi in just one year. But looking at her now, in what way did Chongyi Zhao appear smart? In fact, she had fallen in love when she shouldn’t have.

Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang wanted to mock this woman for being stupid, feeling bitter inside. Still, toward this girl who was in the spring of her youth, she felt some pity. But when Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang recalled her own rank in the imperial harem, was she even in the position to spare pity for someone? She averted her gaze, no longer looking at the clasped hands of the emperor and Chongyi Zhao. Today, that hand warmed Chongyi Zhao’s own. But yesterday, whose hand did he held? Whose hand would he hold tomorrow?  

Feng Jin did not have much of an impression on Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang. He only remembered that she was a woman of few words. The Jiang family was a scholarly family from Jiangnan for many generations. What a pity that Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang was inflexible, unable to thrive and accommodate the teachings of such a family. In fact, due to such teachings, she was as dull and boring as a block of wood. That said, one did not have to worry about this type of woman in the imperial harem. They usually wouldn’t cause trouble.   

“Since We have coincidentally met with the two beloved concubines, why not come walk with Us?” Feng Jin released Zhuang Laoyan’s hand. Glanced at the garden. “We fear that if we wait and enjoy the scenery in a little while, it will be too hot outside.”

Zhuang Laoyan and Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang both performed the full ceremony before following him. Compared to Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang’s wooden and dull bearing, Zhuang Laoyan’s gaze seemed more lively. Like a colorful painting. As such, even a person as serene as Feng Jin would occasionally speak a few words to her as they walked.

“Those in the imperial palace are all fond of colorful flowers. However, We find these few cypresses strong and healthy,” said Feng Jin, pointing at some cypress trees nearby. “What are the two beloved concubines’ thoughts?”   

“Upright with integrity, insusceptible to storms,” Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang respectfully said. “The leaves of the cypress trees are unchanging in hue through the seasons. In the eyes of the world, no other thing is better to represent Your Majesty. Your Majesty is even taller than the cypress, even more upright with integrity, even more insusceptible to storms.”

After hearing such words, Feng Jin nodded. He did not comment on that. He shifted his gaze to Zhuang Laoyan. Saw that she was deep in thought.  “Does beloved concubine not agree with Virtuous Imperial Concubine Jiang’s words?”