61

TJOAIC 61 – PROMOTION ONCE AGAIN (再度晋升)

“Xiuyi Su, why do you say such a thing?” asked Zhuang Laoyan, smiling as her gaze fell upon the other party. 

Xiuyi Su looked at that pair of eyes. She didn’t know if her eyes were playing tricks on her, but under the bloom of the fireworks, those eyes carried a sense of mockery that could not be put into words.  

In a very coordinated manner, the other imperial concubines watched the two. No matter which of the two was out of luck, it did not bring them any disadvantages.

“I merely noticed that Xiuyi Zhao seemed not in the mood to eat, and spoke out of turn.” Xiuyi Su set down her pair of silver chopsticks, ignoring the mockery in Zhuang Laoyan’s eyes. “Could it be that I was mistaken?”

“Thank you Elder Sister for the concern. Younger Sister merely doesn’t have an appetite,” replied Zhuang Laoyan in indifference. She turned toward the emperor and empress. Indeed, the two were looking her way.

Feng Jin and Zhuang Laoyan’s gazes met. He saw that under that serene gaze hid an unspoken loneliness, and averted his own. Slowly, he said, “Xiuyi Zhao’s body is frail and she does not have an appetite. Bring her Our bowl of pheasant meat strips and bird’s nest soup. Such a thing is good for the stomach.”   

“This concubine thanks Your Majesty for the bestowment,” said Zhuang Laoyan, after rising to her feet.  

Consort Rou laughed in ridicule. This Xiuyi Su truly overestimated her capabilities. At this moment, Zhuang Laoyan stood in the limelight. Xiuyi Su wanted to trip her up with such a small matter, but such an action would only cause herself to lose face. She looked sideways at Noble Consort Shu, whose expression was tranquil. These two really did not seem like cousins. No wonder their positions were different.

Pheasant and bird’s nest soup was made with a low fire, through simmering. It was very troublesome to make. Zhuang Laoyan scooped a spoonful with a silver spoon. Drank it. Indeed, it was delicious. If she remembered correctly, this was a well-known soup served in the Manchu-Han imperial feast¹.     

Noticing that Zhuang Laoyan seemed fond of the soup, Feng Jin smiled.  He turned to the empress and said, “We know that she’s a gluttonous person. Now that there’s a delicacy to eat, her appetite has returned.”  

A smile also graced the empress’ lips. “Xiuyi Zhao enjoys culinary delicacies. No wonder Your Majesty specially bestowed her a personal kitchen and older female servants who can make gourmet food.”    

Still smiling, Feng Jin nodded. “She likes to eat; We cannot do anything about that. However, We cannot let her act arbitrarily regardless of the rules. Now that some older female servants have been sent to her, and she can order them around, We finally feel at ease.”  

The speaker of these words perhaps had a hidden agenda, for certain rousing those who had been listening with a start. Did the emperor’s words mean he was discontent that there were issues with Xiuyi Zhao’s food, and was warning those people not to mess around? 

In the past, this had happened to Noble Consort Shu. Now, it was happening to Xiuyi Zhao. Was the emperor truly doting on this woman from a slightly influential family? Noble Consort Shu’s good looks and skill in dance could be considered her strong points. But what kind of thing was Zhuang Laoyan?  

“How could it be that Your Majesty can’t do anything about it? It’s merely that Your Majesty is reluctant to do so,” said the empress, a smile on her face yet again. “This concubine is also fond of Xiuyi Zhao’s personality. Now wonder Your Majesty favors her.”