86

Paying respects to the empress was a duty of the imperial concubines. In Zhuang Laoyan’s opinion, the sole sense of accomplishment for an empress was to see the concubines crawl out of bed and pay respects to her, no matter if it was summer or winter.  

As the empress watched Noble Consort Xian and Zhuang Laoyan enter together, her smile grew all the more gentle. After Zhuang Laoyan had finished paying respects to her, she quickly gave her a seat. A look of deep concern on her features, the empress said, “Xianrong Zhao’s body is still unwell. Why have you come so early to pay respects?”   

“Responding to Your Majesty the empress, this concubine was like this in the past. It’s just that Your Majesty is paying special care for my body. On the road here, this concubine encountered Noble Consort Xian and Zhaorong Xu. Thus, this concubine isn’t that early after all.” Zhuang Laoyan glanced at those present, a smile on her lips.  

The empress nodded. “Noble Consort Xian typically arrives early as well.” In the past, Noble Consort Xian had been the first to arrive. Now, she arrived with Zhuang Laoyan. The empress’ words held another meaning. 

Once Noble Consort Xian had heard such words, the smile on her face stiffened. At once, she said, “Eldest Prince and Second Prince had a fight early this morning. As such, compared to the past, this concubine was late in coming here.”     

 “It indeed is difficult for you to take care of two imperial princes.” The empress glanced at the Liangyi Hu standing in the corner. “That Second Prince is still young. You should be more patient.” 

“This concubine will do as Your Majesty says. This concubine also thought the same. Once the children have grown, they should understand my intentions,” said Noble Consort Xian, smiling. “At the very least, Second Prince would know what is good and what is bad.”  

Noble Consort Xian had said such words in a careless manner, as if there had not been another meaning. But the Liangyi Hu in the corner lifted her head and glanced at her. And everyone around her seemed to look at her with ridicule. Liangyi Hu lowered her head again, expressionless. Her knuckles and joints glowed white from clenching her fists too hard.      

What the harem lacked the least was people stepping on others when they were down. This was the reason Zhuang Laoyan did not give Hu Caixuan any trouble. Without her lifting a finger, there would be many people rushing to step on her. And Zhuang Laoyan could appear kindhearted in front of the emperor. 

“Humans are innately good. Second Prince is intelligent by nature. He surely wouldn’t cause Noble Consort Xian to waste too much energy,” said Noble Consort Shu in a normal tone. “Noble Consort Xian has to raise two princes, so it’s better if you don’t worry too much or exhaust yourself. If we women work too hard, we will grow thin and pallid quicker.”  

“I can’t compare to Younger Sister and Noble Lady Qian in being naturally beautiful. I have to work hard,” said Noble Consort Xian, before purposely sizing up Noble Lady Qian. “Such an appearance is the best in the six palaces.”  

“Your Highness is praising this concubine too much. This concubine is merely awillow withering at the approach of autumn, and doesn’t dare to be compared with Noble Consort Shu.” Noble Lady Qian rose to her feet. Cutting a respectful figure, she said flatly, “This concubine’s appearance cannot compare to a tiny sliver of Noble Consort Shu’s.”  

“Noble Lady Qian is truly too modest. You and Noble Consort Shu have your own merits. This is very good.” The empress smiled faintly. “Isn’t many flowers blossoming together what the harem needs? This palace finds this great.”