70

TJOAIC 70 – GOOD SISTERS?

“Your Majesty, Xianrong Zhao asks for an audience,” said Gao Dezhong softly after rushing into the room.  

At this moment, Feng Jin was in the middle of listening to a court musician playing a song: Xijiang River’s Moon. He raised his hand in passing. “Let her in.”  

After Zhuang Laoyan had entered the room, she saw that the emperor was listening to a song. And she knew his mood shouldn’t be too poor. She approached and saluted him. Glanced at the beauty playing the pipa. “This song, Xijiang River’s Moon, is played very well.”   

“Beloved Concubine also enjoys this song?” Feng Jin gave her a seat. After listening to her judge this song, he said with interest, “We actually had not been aware that you were familiar with this song. How about Beloved Concubine tell Us a bit about it?”    

“This concubine only listened to songs that are pleasant to hear. And only watches dances that are pleasant to watch. Also, this concubine likes to look at beautiful people, and is fond of beautiful flowers. It has nothing to do with elegance or poor taste. Could it be that Your Majesty doesn’t know what this concubine is like?” Zhuang Luoyan smiled. “The things one likes should have nothing to do with whether they are elegant or of poor taste in the first place. If one has to judge whether something is noble or vulgar before deciding if one likes it, then how could that be something one truly likes? If one only likes things that are elegant and hates things that are vulgar, then these likes are artificial.” Following that, she revealed an honest expression.       

“You are a common person, and deliberately had to use such fallacious reasoning. We truly do not know what to say to you.” Feng Jin smiled. However, Zhuang Laoyan had clearly spoken with poor logic in passing. For some reason, it made him think of Zhaorong Xu. Afterward, for some reason, he slightly approved of the logical fallacies of Zhuang Laoyan. 

The two talked about appreciating “Xijiang River’s Moon” to the song “Falling Flowers Coloring the Green.” Then from appreciating “Falling Flowers Coloring the Green” to “Jackdaws Playing with Water.” Feng Jin watched as Zhuang Laoyan’s eyes, which were originally wide, transformed into semicircles. And he finally waved to signal for the pipa musicians to stop. “Did Beloved Concubine come here for something?”  

 Zhuang Laoyan swept her gaze through the beautiful pipa musician standing in the side. “Your Majesty saw through this concubine’s thoughts.”  

A smile spread across Feng Jin’s lips. “How could We not understand your thoughts? Speak.” Even if he didn’t know 70% of it, at least he knew 30%.  

“This concubine is here to ask for grace for my elder sister.” Zhuang Laoyan rose to her feet and saluted. Although his expression did not change, she could sense that the emperor’s mood changed a shade. “This concubine and Elder Sister’s relationship has never been good. And once we entered the palace, it grew even worse.”    

Never had Feng Jin imagined Zhuang Laoyan to not mince her words like this. There was not a hint of tact.  

“This concubine is from the legitimate line. Elder Sister is from the illegitimate line, and her birth mother’s identity was very humble. However, she had many tricks. When this concubine was still young, there was a long period when I saw my mother cry in secret due to Elder Sister’s birth mother. It wasn’t until Father realized her birth mother was trying to scheme against Mother that he no longer favored that woman,” said Zhuang Laoyan, her tone carrying dissatisfaction and sorrow. “Now, that is all in the past. But this concubine and Elder Sister’s relationship didn’t ease up. Later on, this concubine entered the palace, and more unpleasant things happened between us. The two of us are sisters in name but only treat each other as strangers.