5

TJOAIC 5 – PROMOTION (晋封)

The fact that Feng Jin had flipped Zhuang Laoyan’s nametag again did not come as a surprise to her. After all, she had spent a lot of energy for this outcome. If he had merely played with her for a night and then lost interest, it would mean she had no chance of advancing in the imperial harem.

Feng Jin arrived at Taoyu pavilion two hours earlier than he did last night. He wore a soft silk robe made of golden thread, dragons embroidered upon it. His hair was tied up in a knot, restrained within a golden crown, twin dragons each spitting out a pearl at the sides¹. A handsome Casanova².  

Zhuang Laoyan did not put on a blouse with a wrap-around skirt again. Instead, she wore a loose muslin dress, its long train trailing the ground as she walked. It gave her more of a fairy-esque impression, a girl flowing like a cloud. 

“I heard that you went to pay respects at Jingyang Palace this morning,” said Feng Jin, sitting on the couch. The tea in his hand was steaming.

“That Your Majesty cherishes this concubine causes this concubine great joy. Regardless, because the empress showers us sisters with benevolence, this concubine could not skirt her duties.” She smiled apologetically. “Previously, I had been ignorant of palace protocol and lost manners in front of the empress. Thankfully, Her Majesty did not blame me. When I recall those times, I feel ashamed.”  

“To understand your wrongs means you are not arrogant,” Feng Jin said. “It’s a good thing.” He lifted his gaze from the teacup to stare at Zhuang Laoyan. The first thing that caught his attention was her hair, hanging loose on her shoulders. Quite an alluring sight. He reached out and wrapped an arm around her waist. Brought her close to sit on his lap. He stroked her hair. Soft and comfortable to the touch. “Beloved concubine is still young. The fact that you know these things already makes Us³ proud.”  

“If Your Majesty is happy, then this concubine is happy as well.” The woman sitting on Feng Jin’s lap did not seem as though she felt awkward at the slightest. In fact, she acted like a normal woman relying on their husband, arms wrapped around his neck. She lifted her head and opened her beautiful eyes. Joy apparent from her gaze. “From now on, this concubine will act responsibly.”

Their gazes met. Feng Jin’s heart trembled, but only for a hairbreadth of a second. Smiling, he caressed her soft and tender cheeks. “You are Our beloved concubine. Even if We favor you more, it won’t cause a problem.”

When he held affection for them, they were akin to the moon in the sky. When he disliked them, one would fear that they could not even compare to a flight of stairs, something to be stepped on by others. Zhuang Laoyan smiled once more and leaned against Feng Jin’s sturdy chest, hiding her piercing gaze. These emperors loved to give promises left and right, but in the imperial harem, which woman would believe them? 

Feng Jin carried her to bed. Naturally, they enjoyed themselves to the fullest. Countless skillful touches, all leading to immense satisfaction.

The imperial harem was packed with women. And it went without saying that Feng Jin tasted a lot of women in his lifetime. Despite this, he felt that Zhuang Laoyan tasted the best. He spread his limbs, waiting as the servants under the watchful eyes of Gao Dezhong helped him change into his formal dragon robes. Zhuang Laoyan still lay deep in slumber, unaware of the surroundings. 

After he was properly dressed, Feng Jin made a sudden move for the bed. He lowered his head, admiring the sleeping beauty in a good mood. “From the moment Miss Zhuang of Taoyu Pavilion had entered the palace, she was gentle, kind, and had a good temperament. Her personality was noble and pure. Very much to Our taste. Today, We have decided to promote her to the rank of Imperial Concubine, with the title of… Zhao.”