7

TJOAIC 7 – MEN AND WOMEN (男人女人)

The word of Shurong Ye’s pregnancy had only been out for two days, when Anqing Palace announced some news of its own. Noble Consort Shu had fallen ill. Once an imperial physician checked her pulse, he said she had caught a cold during the night, suggesting for her to rest and keep warm within her residence. 

Once the empress was privy to this news, she benevolently relieved Noble Consort Shu from paying respects. All the imperial concubines visited Anqing Palace. But in the end, Noble Consort Shu had been too weak to receive them.

Naturally, this applied to Zhuang Luoyan as well. She and her two maidservants, Tingzhu and Yunxi, had also been blocked from entering. That said, she did not feel one bit embarrassed. She had merely been going through the motions to begin with. Whether Zhuang Luoyan saw her or not, Noble Consort Shu would still be in Anqing Palace. Whether she came to visit or not would, she’d still receive a throbbing headache.

Once the eunuchs and servant girls caught sight of Zhuang Luoyan, they  lowered their heads and saluted her. Similarly, the imperial concubines that were of a lower rank than her paid respects to Zhuang Luoyan in an honest manner. Those who were of a similar rank did not treat her badly as well.  

Never had Zhuang Luoyan took the time to admire the Imperial Garden. Until now, that was. In her opinion, the servants had tended to the flowers with meticulous care, each and every one of them an exquisite bloom. Zhuang Luoyan was an ordinary person. She wasn’t the type to think flowers that had been cultivated by hand lost any of their original flair. Rather, she only thought the flowers looked beautiful, not a yellow leaf in sight.  

In the guarded depths of her heart, Zhuang Luoyan sighed. It was true she was an ordinary person. Her life was cheap, and as such, she could thrive in the imperial harem, not held back by certain things. On the other hand, if a pure and delicate person, a person blessed by the heavens in talent and beauty, entered the imperial harem, she would only suffer until the end of her days. 

Zhuang Luoyan broke free from her wandering thoughts. Her hand supported by Yunxi, she did not go far before she saw a beautiful woman walking in the opposite direction, a few palace maids trailing her. 

“Greetings to older sister Noble Imperial Concubine Yan,” Zhuang Luoyan said to this woman who had basked in the limelight lately. She curtsied, carefully watching the other party. 

Noble Imperial Concubine Yan wore a blouse and wrap-around skirt the color of peach blossoms, with the actual blossom pattern upon it a solid white. Her hair was arranged meticulously into a gorgeous floating cloud bun. Inserted into the left side of the bun was an embedded-jade-butterfly golden-thread dangling hair ornament. It trembled as she walked, the butterfly’s wings fluttering upon every step. The tassel at the end of the dangling hair ornament also shook. Such an enchanting sight could not be put into words.

“Younger sister Imperial Concubine Zhao need not be so ceremonious. You and I are sisters serving His Majesty after all. Why must you be so polite?” Noble Imperial Concubine Yan gestured for her to stand up. Because of this gesture, the butterfly on her dangling hair ornament once again flapped its wings. As if it were about to take flight.

“Older sister Noble Imperial Concubine Yan has a beautiful dangling hair ornament. Young sister cannot help but admire it.” Zhuang Luoyan’s voice carried a trace envy as her gaze locked onto the hair accessory. To be honest, the accessory was in fact very pleasant to the eye. Even though she had seen many pieces of exquisite jewelry in the modern age, Zhuang Luoyan still felt this one to be a cut above the rest. As such, that she was marveling it wasn’t an act. The existence of such an accessory showed that the artistry of the ancients were of a high level.