51

TJOAIC 51 – RED AND WHITE (红与白)

Fireworks and lanterns abound, it did not seem as if it were nighttime. Zhuang Laoyan leaned against the seat of her steady sedan, watching the bloom of fireworks in the sky. For some reason, she recalled the words Noble Consort Shu had spoken a few days prior, that in a blink of an eye, those dazzling fireworks would vanish.

A woman’s prime was short. The moment they were born, they were children that weren’t sensible. Once they were, before they could enjoy the naivety of a girl, they had to marry and give birth to children. Following that, the rest of their lives must be given to their husband, children, and the parents of their husband. For their whole lives, women must abide scrupulously to the Three Obediences and the Four Virtues¹, must be lenient and magnanimous. But her man could have three wives and four concubines, indulging in sensual pleasures, completely not placing her in his eyes.  

Other than having a bit more of an honorable status and living in more luxury than other women, the women of the imperial harem were even more miserable. One mistake, and they would be consigned to eternal damnation. Zhuang Laoyan was a tactful person who feared death. For this reason, she played by the game’s rules, working hard to improve her living standards. At times, when one could not find a way out, one could not fight against the Heavens.    

“Master, we have arrived at Taihe Hall.” Noticing Zhuang Laoyan’s distracted appearance, Yunxi lowered her voice as she said, “Zhaorong Xu appears to be ahead of us.”  

Zhuang Laoyan snapped out of her reverie. Her gaze fell upon the approaching Zhaorong Xu. A trace of a smile appeared on her lips.  

Zhaorong Xu’s appearance wasn’t stunning, but she possessed a rare delicate bearing. She also knew that her appearance wasn’t the best in the harem. As such, Zhaorong Xu purposely accentuated her good points, distinguishing herself among the other women.    

Today’s Zhaorong Xu wore a pure white blouse with a wrap-around skirt made of satin. A goose-yellow cloak draped over her shoulders. It made others find her even more delicate. But the moment she caught sight of Zhuang Laoyan’s attire, digust filled her heart.    

No woman liked seeing another woman look better in the color she wore. Zhaorong Xu felt unwilling, but she had no choice but to admit that Zhuang Laoyan looked perfect in those clothes. That snow-white blouse with a wrap-around skirt and a pattern of red plum blossoms, paired with a cloak made of arctic fox fur, not only made people feel tenderness toward the wearer but also did not lose out on sumptuousness. It was just right for tonight’s event.    

Zhuang Laoyan looked at Zhaorong Xu and could not help but shiver. It’s so cold, yet she wore only that? She really couldn’t tell if this was beautiful and moving or simply freezing². Who ever said Zhaorong Xu was delicate? Only those women who really wanted to look pretty could wear this little in this kind of cold weather.  

“Younger Sister Chongyi Zhao.” Zhaorong Xu nodded in an aloof manner. However, she did not stop her sedan at all, moving past Zhuang Laoyan. Once the breeze from the movement picked up, her skirt fluttered in the night underneath her cloak. Quite a sight for the eyes.  

In silence, Zhuang Laoyan breathed in. Out of reflex, she pulled her fox cloak tighter around her, making sure the chill wouldn’t touch her. Then she once again sat with a graceful posture, a smile on her lips.    

They made their way to the front of Tiahe Hall. Zhuang Laoyan disembarked from her sedan. Using Yunxi’s hand for support, she took her time entering the side door. As soon as the eunuchs that announced the arrival of the masters saw her, they lowered their heads and shouted, “Chongyi Zhao has arrived!”