71

TJOAIC 71 – NEWCOMERS AND VETERANS

On the day Zhuang Wanqing was buried in the tomb for imperial concubines, Zhuang Laoyan stood in Wangyue Pavilion, watching the funeral procession leave. The morning wind of spring gave people chills, causing even her heart to grow cold.  

“Your Highness, we ought to return,” said Tingzhu, draping a cloak over Zhuang Laoyan’s shoulders. Then she looked at the funeral procession, which basically could not be seen anymore. “The imperial harem is like so. Those who are favored can bask in glory. Those who lose favor can be bullied by everyone. If you do not scheme against others today, others still would not let you go.” 

Zhuang Laoyan turned around to descend the stairs, when all of a sudden, she caught sight of many horse-drawn carriages at the eastern door. She asked, “What are those carriages for?”  

“Has Your Highness forgotten? Today is the day when the newcomers arrive. Those sitting in the carriages are all daughters of officials or daughters of families all around the country. If the emperor takes a fancy to any of them, then they can remain in the palace.” Tingzhu watched as many carriages went through the eastern doors. Behind the carriages, the sun slowly rose.     

Although sunlight fell upon them, the scene did not hold any trace of liveliness. 

Silent, Zhuang Laoyan took in this scene. Another group of women who lost their freedom. If they remained here, they would compete for the rest of their lives.  

Seeing her master silent, Tingzhu thought Zhuang Laoyan was worried about the newcomers arriving, and couldn’t help but say, “Your Highness, there is no need to be concerned. Even if there are new people entering the palace, your position in His Majesty’s heart will never change. Anqing Palace’s Noble Consort Shu has always received the emperor’s favor. In these past years, many new people arrived at the palace, but never has anyone seen the emperor treat her a bit coldly.”

A smile spread across Zhuang Laoyan’s lips. “Where have your thoughts gone? I’m merely sighing with emotion.”    

Sighing with emotion for what? Tingzhu could not wrap her head around it.  

As she turned around to descend the stairs, Tingzhu heard her master say, ”Once spring ends, the beautiful flowers will wither. What a pity.”  

In Luanhe Hall, twenty to thirty girls dressed to the nines stood. All of them were exceptional in appearance. They sized each other up and concealed their hostility. However, no one dared to be impudent in this stage. They lowered their heads wellbehavedly, waiting for the other imperial concubines to arrive.  

For this kind of event, those who had reached the second rank must attend. Although these girls were in the prime of their youth, they still knew that they could not offend these high-ranking imperial concubines.  

“Zhaorong Xu has arrived.”  

The girls paid respects one after the other. Carefully sneaked a peek at this Zhaorong Xu. She was like awillow branch trembling in the wind. An unspeakable elegance and tastefulness.    

Zhaorong Xu gazed at the girls standing there. A trace of arrogance appeared on her delicate features.  

“Noble Consort Shu has arrived.”  

Those present knew that Noble Consort Shu was extremely favored. Once they had seen her clearly, they could not help but feel inferior to her. Although this Noble Consort Shu did not dress luxurious to the max, her beauty shocked everyone; they could not help but want to avoid her.