83

In people’s eyes, although peacocks weren’t as honorable and beautiful as phoenixes, they were still beautiful. Therefore, while the imperial concubines dared not to have furniture or other utensils with phoenixes as decorative designs or phoenixes embroidered onto their clothes and shoes, they could use peacocks instead.  

The peacock tail brought forward was gorgeous to the max. Although the drawing technique was strange, it surprised others. Took their breaths away at the beauty. The outline was clear, exaggerating the contours. The technique was different from those of the palace maids and other imperial concubines, and the only person who would use such a strange technique was Xihe Palace’s Xianrong Zhao.

“Your Majesty, this peacock tail kite is made from top-notch Sichuan brocade. Moreover, it entered the palace as tribute last year during October. This concubine has already investigated this. Only eight imperial concubines have this type of material. Other than Consort Rou, Zhaorong Xu, and Consort Ning, the other imperial concubines have already used up their allotment,” said the empress in a tranquil manner, watching as the peacock tail fabric was presented to Consort Ning. “Just looking at the fabric won’t solve this case.” 

At this moment, everyone realized something. The empress wanted to use this occasion to properly investigate this case. And they, the imperial concubines, were all present. They couldn’t leave even if they wanted to.    

The emperor’s brows twitched. “Since nothing can be found out from just looking at the fabric, we will have to look at other places.” He turned to Consort Ning. “Consort Ning, look at this painting.”

“Your Majesty…” Consort Ning held up the painting, hesitant. Gazed at it for a good while. Then she furrowed her brows and said with difficulty, “This concubine truly doesn’t know who drew this. But looking at the brushstrokes, it looks exactly like Xianrong Zhao’s.”  

An insincere smile playing on Noble Consort Shu’s lips, she gazed at that peacock tail. “Consort Ning, do you know what Xianrong Zhao’s painting style is like?”  

“During the last day of the lunar new year, Xianrong Zhao personally drew a picture on a lantern. At that time, this concubine was present, so took a few more glances at it.” Consort Ning set down that fabric with the peacock tail. Turned to Noble Consort Shu. “Could it be that Your Highness Noble Consort Shu has forgotten?”  

Noble Consort Shu smiled and did not continue speaking.  

“Your Highness’ eyesight and memory is incredible. This concubine cannot compare.” Zhuang Laoyan reached out for the fabric with the peacock tail. “This peacock tail fabric uses the same paint and material as mine. If it wasn’t for the fact that this concubine made that kite myself, this concubine wouldn’t be able to tell if this was the original or a copy.    

“Your Majesty, this time, the person who harmed this concubine harbours evil intentions. Not only did they kill Noble Lady Ye, they also framed me. May Your Majesty seek justice for me,” said Zhuang Laoyan, eyes red. “This concubine doesn’t fear being framed, and only fears Your Majesty would believe that vicious person’s scheme. If that happens, if that happens…” And she could not continue, choking with sobs.  

The emperor walked forward and held her ice-cold hand. “We know you. We already had people investigate thoroughly these past days, and will not let you receive unjust treatment in vain.”

At this scene, Noble Consort Shu averted her gaze. The smile on her lips dimmed significantly. “In the past, we knew that Consort Ning’s skill in painting was impressive. Now, we know her eyesight is incredible as well. On that day, for her to clearly make out Xianrong Zhao’s painting style from so far away is truly something one doesn’t see often.”