10

TJOAIC 10 – SCUM (渣)
(Technically, the title says “dregs” or “dross,” but honestly “scum” works a lot better in English.)

Perhaps because the empress felt enraptured by their conversation, the imperial concubines stayed at Jingyang Palace for two hours. Once they left the residence, the sun was high and bright in the sky.

Because Jieyu Ma and Zhuang Laoyan did not see eye to eye, the moment they had exited the courtyard’s front doors, they went off in separate directions. What surprised Zhuang Laoyan was that Zhuang Wanqing had also take the path toward Taoyu Pavilion, the latter’s expression visibly moved.  

She continued her original pace toward the other woman. Just as Zhuang Laoyan believed her sister would not speak, she caught sight of the other’s lips parting. Her words were not of pleasantly reminiscing of the past, nor were they about sisterly bonds.  

“Such good weather today. I recall it had rained when Younger Sister first entered the palace.” Zhuang Wanqing’s voice rang monotonous. However, Zhuang Laoyan could discern the hate concealed in those words. “Due to your background, you became a mid-tier fifth-rank Guiji on your first day. After two nights of favor, you were promoted to a Wanyi. When I had thought that the emperor finally lost interest in you, he actually promoted you to an Imperial Concubine Zhao. You’re certainly more fortunate than most people.”  

Zhuang Laoyan stopped in her tracks. Turned around to look at her sister. “Why is Elder Sister saying such things today?”

As soon as Zhuang Wanqing heard those words, she lifted her head, her gaze landing straight on Zhuang Laoyan. Her eyes were already tinged with red, voice cold enough to freeze. “Zhuang Laoyan, I will definitely see the day when you’re left in tears!” Then she flipped around and rushed off, disappearing at the end of the road.

This kind of strong hate caused Zhuang Laoyan to furrow her brow. Although the previous owner of her body had been excessive with her actions, in this situation, she didn’t deserve such brainless words from her elder sister. Did something happen that she wasn’t aware of?   

“Master, there’s been news from outside the palace. Second Concubine has passed away,” Yunxi whispered into her ear. “The eldest miss should have already known.” 

Zhuang Laoyan was shocked. Then she looked in the direction in which her sister had fled. If the past Zhuang Wanqing had still considered the consequences before acting, then she perhaps no longer did so currently. Looked like Zhuang Laoyan’s days in the imperial harem would become more troublesome from now on.  

“Master,” said Yunxi. She knew her master held dislike for the eldest miss and Second Concubine. However, after hearing the news of Second Concubine’s death, her master did not seem happy. Rather, she seemed heavy-hearted. 

“I don’t know what happens outside the palace. You also did not hear anything. Understand?” Zhuang Laoyan sighed. The women in the imperial harem were too knowledgeable of affairs happening outside the palace walls. Because of this, even if they did not want to die, they would still receive an early death.  

Yunxi stood there, astonished. Shortly after, she lowered her head.

Tingzhu glanced at her fellow colleague. She supported Zhuang Laoyan’s hand and softly advised, “Master, Shuyi Ye and Shurong Ye are approaching.”   

Zhuang Laoyan lifted her gaze. Were these the two sisters from the Ye family? It wasn’t that her thoughts were wicked. It’s just that this emperor’s actions naturally ferried her thoughts into such a direction. In the imperial harem, there were a few pairs of blood-related sisters. For example, Noble Consort Shu and Xiuyi Su were half-blooded sisters, Shuyi Ye and Shurong Yi were full-blooded siblings, and herself and Zhuang Wanqing shared the same father. There was also Sun Huiji, who was the empress’ distant cousin. No wonder the women in the imperial harem always spoke about sisterly bonds.