SAMPLE / CHAPTER 3

Chapter 3

THE BROODING PRINCE'S JADED EYES FLICKERED AT MY TABLE, HIS DEMURE DEMEANOUR LETHAL TO MY MERE EXISTENCE.

My heart began to race, aware that I was being watched yet I dared not have a peek at the onlooker. He was dangerous, you could tell by his Grecian face and sharp cheekbones --so sharp, it could cut down lustrous diamonds. There was something about his enviable long lashes, upturned straight-edged nose, perfectly curved lips, and emerald crystal eyes that unnerved me.

He's too pretty, the banshee in me concluded. Nobody could be that pretty.
Yet here he is, existing in human form, in all his imminent glory.

His tunic bedecked with ornaments fitted him well while his black trousers and leather-clad boots finished the majestic look. The two other boys were equally striking: the red-haired prince wore a silken white suit, illuminating the colour of his wavy hair and golden eyes, while the other basked in his burgundy embellished tunic and a crimson cape. Together they could make wanton ladies faint and compel men to fall on their knees for allegiance.

"Clary? Are you okay?" Nessa gently nudged my arm, her touch as soft as a butterfly kiss.

I snapped out from my in-depth thoughts and smiled at Nessa. "I'm going to take a breather for a moment. Please finish dining, I'll be fine on my own."

"Okay, we'll finish soon and join you, " said Ria who sipped on her hot oolong tea.

I could feel his eyes burning on my back as I wobbled my way out of the royal dining hall. What does he want from me?

I sighed in a deep breath as I leaned on the marbled railing to appreciate the spectacular view of wisterias. It was aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. Smiling, I let my mind wander if fairies resided in the blooming trees.

Not long after my isolated peace, a voice called out to me. "Your name is Clarissa Valdez, correct me if I'm wrong, " said the handsome prince in a Burgundy tunic.

I managed to nod my head and not falter at the sight of his salient cerulean eyes.

"I'm prince Lucas and I'm a fan of your father's, " he introduced and showed me his prince charming smile. I swooned.

"We're very honoured, your royal highness, " I croaked, trying to gulp down my excitement.

"Please call me Lucas." His kind eyes smiled at me and I couldn't help but smile back. He was the ultimate prince charming.

"And I'm Eric!" The red-haired prince introduced himself, taking my hand to kiss it. "We should get more acquainted soon, my lady."

So his name is Prince Gavier, so befitting of his embodiment.

I glanced at the third prince who leaned by the pillar, his statuesque form defiant and intimidating. He had not uttered a word yet his piercing gaze at me said a lot more than words. He was observing every word I say, every move I do and every time our eyes locked, he never once looked away.

While the two amicable princes babbled of the places around the palace they want to show me, he remained still but his presence was the big elephant in the room.

"See you around Clarissa, it was nice meeting you, " Lucas bid his farewell along with Eric who flirtatiously winked back.

They began to stride away and prince Gavier finally moved to join them.

What are you doing, just gawking like a fool? Asked the banshee in exasperation. Go talk to him, ask him why he can't take his eyes off you!

"Hey!" I called after them and immediately regretted it afterwards.

"What is it, Clarissa?"

"Can I talk to you?" I pointed at prince Gavier who seemed a little taken aback but quickly dissolved any type of emotion on his face. He stepped forward from the group to have privacy.

He must be at least 6,5 tall whilst towering over my 5,10 height. His half hooded eyes gaped at me with a look of boredom.

"Is there anything you want to say to me?" I willed up the courage to ask.

"Do you know who I am?" Was his retort. His voice was rich, sexy, imperative and the deepest tone I've ever heard.

"You're the prince of Greece. Prince Gavier, am I correct?"

"Yes," he stated the obvious as if that should answer my question.

I questioned him with my eyes, expecting him to elaborate. He did.

"No, I have nothing to say to a nobody."

My chest heaved as the banshee inside my head screamed in an emotional upheaval. She violently clawed her way out of the shell, demanding retribution. I had tried so hard to keep her locked away but it was inevitable.

After all, she was me.

I lifted my hand, about to slap the shit out of his chiselled face but he caught my wrist, his sturdy fingers gently held my hand away.

A burst of flashing lights suddenly snapped at us in rigorous staccato while a group of royal students cried out, fleeing from the dining hall. Three men, dressed as commoners took pictures of us with their big lensed cameras, snapping away avidly like ninjas.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" the cold prince cursed and pulled me along with him.