Chapter 31

The next day ended up being pure crap.

It hadn't started off all that bad, and Esmeray had been fooled into thinking that everything was fine when it wasn't. When she'd awoken, she'd decided that she did want to leave with Klaus. He'd been overjoyed to hear it, and immediately gave her as many boxes, bags, and suitcases as she might need. She'd packed her things into the provided containers and used magic to help protect some of the more fragile items that she owned. Knowing that some other trinkets and clothes were still at the Salvatore House, she made her way there to collect them.

"So you're leaving," said Damon, who was putting on his jacket as if he was going to run an errand as soon as she walked out the door. "Like... actually."

"I can't stand to not be a full hybrid any longer," she sighed. "I've waited long enough. I got lucky that I didn't have to turn last full moon... even if it meant that stupid Esther was channeling me. I've been awake for nearly eight months now. According to the birthday I decided on... I'll be twenty soon, and one thousand twenty-six in real time. I want to be a full hybrid before then."

"Will you visit?" asked Damon, looking saddened to hear that she really didn't want to stay. "Once you're more wolfy than witchy?"

She shrugged. "Or maybe you can visit me. Get away from Mystic Falls for a bit and see the world again. You've been stuck here for a long while, tackling problem after problem. You need a break, too, Damon."

"How about this— the instant that you become a full hybrid, you call me, and I'll drop everything to go where you are. We'll have non-alcoholic drinks and go to a club to celebrate. You can invite Anya, too."

Esmeray grinned, pulling him into a hug. "I'll always be one phone call away," she told him.

"Even if I want to call you at four in the morning?" Damon asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Sure. Just expect me to be groggy."

"Think you might get frisky on the trip with Anya?"

"Definitely not," said Esmeray, shaking her head. "Anya understands that it's not... going to happen. And she's respectful about it. Either way, she isn't the type to want to get frisky until we've really solidified a relationship. Sending each other memes and Tumblr posts really isn't enough, and even the occasional existentialist conversation doesn't help. I don't think she feels all that attracted to me anymore, but..."

"But things might change once you two are staying together and preparing for the ritual," finished Damon, wiggling his eyebrows. "You know, Klaus shouldn't be angry with you if you choose to try out a relationship with her first. I'm going to say this only because you're my friend: I think you'd be happier with Anya than with him. Her wolf may not be your soulmate, but I'm sure she'd be more loving, and that's what you deserve. Plus, you don't want kids, and at least with Anya, you won't have to worry about accidentally conceiving one."

Esmeray mulled it over. "I guess we'll see what happens. I imagine she'll still want to journey with me to find more Poldarks. She is really sweet... and once I help her with something, she'll be a lot more comfortable with traveling. I think she's going to start growing out her hair."

"Ah, that's right, you did say she was bald," said Damon. "You know, bald chicks are honestly really hot."

"Oh, trust me, she is absolutely gorgeous."

The goodbye with Damon was fine. Esmeray appreciated his support and his help with packing the rest of the items she wanted to take with her. And even what happened afterward was decently nice, too, though she wouldn't have been so happy if she knew the truth behind it all.