Part twenty-five

“How was it?”

The door closes behind me and I just shrug, I don’t think there will ever be a session with this lady that will actually be different and Coop knows that too. I think everyone I’ve ever told knows that.

However, Coop is a hopeful person so I understand why he tries.

He gets up from the bench, his finger pressing a button on his phone, most likely sending a text before he catches up with me.

“That bad, huh?”

He has this small smile on his face for some reason as if he knows some secret I don’t. As if he’s waiting for me to catch on to something.

I ignore his odd mood and I shrug again.

‘She said I was not normal. Again.’ I mouth, our eyes on each other briefly as we continue walking ourselves towards the entrance of this shit hole, none of us rushing even though I would definitely not mind being outside and away from here as fast as I can.

His smile fades a bit and I feel a bit guilty about it since I don’t want to ruin his good mood no matter the reason behind it.

“I doubt she said that.”

She didn’t exactly say it, but it was implied. I was just sitting in my chair in her room, trying to stick with my routine answers to her routine questions until she asked me if I was okay. I mean yes of course I’m okay. I didn’t look like a wreck, I was non-speaking perfectly, I look pretty good today with my ironed hair if I do say so myself, and overall everything felt fine. I tried telling her that, even signing to her just in case she didn’t understand me and her mouth just stayed in a straight line, her eyebrows furrowed in an unconvinced way.

She said I looked like I had something on my mind and I shook my head because yeah maybe my sister is worrying me a bit but it’s not like it’s all my mind is thinking about. That would be weird. So I told her how having something on my mind would make me un normal and she wrote something down and sighed and damn it, I’m normal. Truly I am and it just exasperates me so much. What was she writing down on the clipboard anyway? What was so wrong with me that she had to write it down to file for later?

I shrug for the third time.

Coop just releases an amused chuckle which kind of irks me.

“You’re so stubborn. You know that right?”

I roll my eyes, his arm going around my shoulder as he pulls me closer to his side.

‘What are you so happy about?’ I ask, wanting to change the conversation.

His mouth kind of drops in shock at my question before he begins laughing, his head even tilting back and I begin to look around me to see if someone fell or something without me noticing.