Part twenty

The atmosphere surrounding the dinner table is filled with the routine sense of awkwardness that always blooms. I’m sitting on the right side, my mother right next to me with Gene and Sylvia sitting right across from us with my dad at the very head of the table. It’s friday night and my mum thought it would be a delightful idea if Sylvia joined us for this cuisine, being able to take home leftovers for her husband as well.

Sylvia look pleased with the idea even though I know she doesn’t quite like my mum all that much, however she does love Gene and I so I guess that was enough for her.

The table is silent, the only sound being the tacking of silverware hitting the glass pearl colored plates as people cut and scoop their roasted duck that’s marinated in this raspberry glaze.

I swallow the bite I was chewing, my eyes observing the whole scene since it’s all I can really do.

My Ipad is resting on my lap, waiting to be used as usual even though I don’t think I will have much use of it tonight.

Gene is just staring down at her plate, her fork just moving all of her untouched food around. Her skin has grown paler, the dark circles under her eyes equally as evident as the amount of weight she has lost. Her hair is in one of those top knot buns, her eyes looking this grayish blue that just emphasizes her whole tired appearance.

But what is she so tired of is the question.

Sylvia keeps on glancing over at my sister, whispering some things in her ear as she briefly points to Gene’s food, most likely telling her to eat up as she usually tells us.

My mother just has this forced grin on her face, wanting to prove to herself that everything is just normal and dandy as always with her chipped red polished nails and messy hair that resembles a less exaggerated tumbleweed.

My father on the other hand is still wearing his coat, too lazy to take it off at the moment as his displeased eyes stare at the cooked bird under his chin. It looks as if he’s wishing the bird could come back to life just so he can kill it again for not being a steak.

My mum clears her throat, catching my dad’s attention and signaling him immediately to eat and to stop grouching. After a sigh he just nods his head and stuffs a forkful in his mouth.

“So.” She begins when she turns her attention back to all of us.

I take a sip of my water.

“Why don’t you all tell me how your day was?”

Gene finally looks up, her face looking hopeful for some reason and I just continue eating, shrugging when her eyes land on me.

No one says anything, everyone just glancing at one another to see who will speak first.