Part forty-two

"So this is where you and Louis had your first date, huh?" 

I glance over at Danny, taking another bite of my cornbread before nodding. We're all here together in the park of the retirement home: Izzy, Coop, Danny, and I. We're seated together in this circle formation, Izzy on my left and Coop on my right with Danny right across from me. There are winds hitting us left and right, Danny's blonde hair blowing all over the place and Izzy having had to put on her bright yellow sweater. 

I hadn't left my house really in about two and half weeks, especially since that argument Gene and I had with one another and since Coop told me that Izzy really missed me and that he did too, I went along with his request to have lunch with them and Danny who I hadn't seen in what seemed to be ages. Celeste cooked, baked, and set up a whole picnic basket for us to take, her gesture kind and generous and even though I know I should be elated and happy to see them, there just seems to be this weight resting on my shoulders that I can't lift off. 

Coop looks concerned, this pitiful look on his face having not changed in the past hour. Though it is quite aggravating to see it since it makes me feel like this whole day is going to be everyone feeling bad for the poor mute girl day, I choose to ignore it and just go on with everything. 

"Coop, why don't you tell us again about you and Danny's first date?" Izzy asks, trying to break the silence, that annoying and unnecessary silence.

A small smile appears on Danny's freckled face and when he turns to look at Coop, he sees how the boy is already looking at him, this large amount of fondness taking over his features. That pity look turns to one of pure adoration and it warms my heart just a little.

"Yeah. Um well Danny took me to this club that is like pretty fucking hard to get into. But he knew the bouncer and yeah. We danced... a lot and drank a bit and then after, like the tease he is, he took me back to his place."

Izzy begins to wiggle her eyebrows.

"Oh really?"

"No. No. Listen to this. He invited me in because he wanted to cook for me. It was almost two in the morning and he was drunk off his arse and he whispered in my ear to come inside so he could cook me the worst omelette-"

"You didn't even eat it! How would you know if it was a bad omelette, babe?!"

"Um vegan so kinda can't eat fucking omelettes! And it still had pieces of shell in it!"

I feel the side of my lip curve upwards just a tad and I continue watching them argue like the old married couple they are.

"I was drunk!"

"And how was that my issue?"

"What if I burned myself while cooking? Or burned the flat down?"

"I wouldn't have let that happen, Danny. And it was quite amusing anyway to watch you apologize to cheese before you put it on the pan."

"I did no such thing!"

"Yes you did! You were just too drunk to remember!"

"Danny, it's okay. One day, Coop came home super blazed and kept on high fiving my posters before he laughed so hard and fell on his ass, cursing out Kristen Stuart." Izzy butts in, my shoulders feeling less and less tense as the conversation goes on.

Coop's face flushes and Danny's eyebrows raise, his head turning immediately to his boyfriend before he begins to tease him about it.

"And you say I'm an idiot!"

"You are an idiot."

I quickly nudge Coop with my elbow, a small smile on my face and he quickly gives me his attention. I begin to sign and he catches on immediately, his head nodding in understanding.