Part sixteen

My fist knocks on the bright red, wooden door. I bite on my bottom lip to contain my excitement since I don’t want to seem too eager but also I haven’t seen these people for a few weeks so fuck it.

I knock again, hearing a loud ‘I’m coming!’ from within the house.

I hold the small bouquet of the fluorescent pink weeds in my grasp a little tighter and my lips brush themselves out from the encagement of my teeth as I can no longer fight back my wide grin.  

“Why, hello there Winnie. It’s nice to see you.” Celeste (Iz and Coop’s mum) greets as she finally opens the door.

She has dark circles under her eyes, her skin paler than usual with her light auburn colored hair in a messy ponytail. She yawns, adding to her very exhausted look and I wrap my arms around her.

She hugs back lazily and gives me a tired grin.

“Come on in. “

Her body scoots a little to the side, letting me pass and I feel myself calm down moderately.

The temperature seems to rise as I enter her quaint home from the windy atmosphere outside. I pull off my hoodie, folding it over my crossed arms and right when Celeste closes the door as if on cue, Izzy’s voice erupts itself throughout the room.

“Mum, is Winnie here yet?! Was that her? Mum. I-”

Celeste doesn’t even respond, she just smiles warmly and stops in place as Coop and Izzy make themselves visible and stop in place as well.

Izzy’s hair grew even longer, a few hairs now taking up almost half of her forehead. Last time I saw her it was just right below her hairline.

She’s wearing her Okay? bright blue T-shirt I got for her birthday last year, no tubes connected to her whatsoever. She’s just resting in this special wheelchair with a few first-aid items hanging on the side for emergencies -I’m guessing- while Coop is standing right behind her. He’s wearing the matching tfios shirt that goes with Izzys, his just saying Okay.

Izzy’s eyes begin to gloss as she continues staring at me and her arms just open wide, waiting for me to embrace her and I do.

I almost trip in the process, placing my jacket and the weeds neatly on the ground before running to her.

She smells like detergent and medication and I don’t think I have ever missed the smell of antibiotics as much as I have during our separation..

Izzy’s arms have never been strong due to her misfortune, but when she hugs me I can tell that she’s using all the strength she has and that is making me tear up.

A whimper leaves her lips and I hug her even tighter.

“I’ve missed you so much, Winnie.” She says and I pull away a little, kissing her forehead.