Loneliness | Winter Solider

"When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different

"When someone loves you, the way they talk about you is different. You feel safe and comfortable."
- Jess C Scott: The Intern

The world was crippling with monsters and just a little too big. For a small child roaming around the streets with thieves and big bad men was utterly terrifying. Even more so without any guidance from a parent or friend.

Abandoned by the time you could communicate and walk on your stubby feet, you were left on an old wooden bench, vulnerable to the darkness that lurked in Bucharest. Cold, famished, and hurt, you wandered around for months before you met him.

...

You were an animal, made from the hands of God who dammed you this journey. Sniffing like a dog so that you could find a meal, or at least some garbage. You had to growl like a monster, baring your teeth so no person would touch you.

"What's that smell?... fried food?"
*growl*

Your small hands gripped your stomach trying to silence the sound. If you couldn't hear the rumbles, maybe the thought of hunger would die down.

"Don't worry stomach, I'll find some food for us." You muttered softly to comfort yourself.

Walking down the dim street, you followed the smell.

...

"Fish and Chips?"

Above you, the neon green sign raised your hopes for a dinner that didn't smell or was expired.

Quickly snapping out of your thoughts, your attention was drawn to the clear glass window.

*muffled sounds of conversation*

Inside the warm restaurant sat an ordinary family of five. They were nothing special however behind their glossed eyes you could see they were unremarkably happy. They were genuinely smiling. Each and every one of them, all bonding over a simple meal.

"I wonder what it feels like. What it feels like to be surrounded by people you love and make you happy" you thought to yourself.

The thought burdened your heart, physically making your chest heavy. No longer able to stand the sight, you dragged yourself to the back of the restaurant.

...

Digging through foul trash, your hopes weren't a waste. You had found your tiny body a decent meal. Simple scraps and pieces of leftover fries and battered fish that still manage to cling to its warmth.

"I'm so happy!"

You were sat by the bin resting the side in your body against it. Quickly, you opened the box of food and lifted the fish to your small mouth, biting a piece. Not chewing, your eyes widened in disbelief. Something was missing. It felt like now that you had seen the family through the window, the air around you had changed.