Never Out of Love | Captain America

tw: one swear word and hateful thoughts"No matter the anger, no matter the hate, you never fall out of love with the ones closest to you

"No matter the anger, no matter the hate, you never fall out of love with the ones closest to you."

The love between a father and his child begins the moment he first lays eyes on his creation. From there forms an unshakable bond so strong that it lasts a lifetime. No matter what adversities are faced, that same bond will always remain full of love.

The moment he set his gentle eyes on your innocent complexion, he knew he would give you everything he had to offer. Whether that be his possessions, his love, his life— hell even the world, he would give it all to you.

Growing up without a mother, you were left to depend on Steve, your father. While it wasn't uncommon for a child to have a single parent, it didn't stop the cavity that formed in your heart full of insecurity. Why wasn't I enough? Nothing could rid it no matter how much you tried and it continued to grow when you got older. It was a parasite leaching off of the good things in life, slowly but surely draining you till the last drop.

Steve could always sense it. He could sense how you would look at yourself in the mirror, how you presented yourself in a crowd full of people. It was a look of emptiness. A look so detached that left him in pain and worry. Whenever he could, he would always try to fill that little cavity. Words went unsaid how much he cared for you and it went unsaid when he would go out of his way in showing it. For years you were happy knowing how much he loved you and how nothing could get rid of it.

You felt as if you were finally enough for your parents and for the world. However with your moment of content, it was sure to crumble.

Steve missed the past— he would never tell you that though. He didn't want to make it seem like you weren't it for him. That he needed something more. Though you were always a suspicious kid. The nagging thought at the back of your mind had a feeling that he loved, missed, and wanted something or someone more deeply than you. Steve assured you that he didn't.

What a liar.

Steve was a bad father. That's what he thought at least. The moments spent with you was him always recalling how it was back in his old life. It felt like though he was with you, he wasn't fully there. He missed his old friends. He missed Peggy.

He missed her with every fibre in his being that when he learnt that he had a chance to turn back time after the defeat of Thanos, he took it— with much hesitation. He felt as if the pieces of his body were slowly being mended together by Peggy herself. She was there to fix him up to shape.

...

You remember sending your father off with a briefcase in hand. In it contained the tesseract that needed to be returned to its rightful time. It was simple, only beings seconds to you— but it didn't cease the worry that erupted throughout your body. Time was tricky and you never know what could happen.