Lando Norris-Qualifying

"Hey babe, how was today?" I ask as Lando answers the phone. "It was busy, as usual but got me excited for this weekend. The weather report says there is supposed to be rain on Sunday so that will make the race more interesting." He says. "Oh yeah that could be great." I say. "Are you sure you still can't come." He says and I shake my head. "I'm sorry Lan, I've got a lot of studying to do for my tests and I need to do well. I'm sorry, maybe the next race." I say and Lando looks upset which breaks my heart.

We talk for a little while longer before he had to go. I hang up and look at the already packed suitcase lying at my feet ready for me to go to the airport and fly to Imola to surprise him. I spoke to Daniel earlier this week and he has kindly arranged for someone to take me from the airport to the hotel and then to the track after I land on Saturday. I should get to the track just in time for quali. I quickly order an Uber and grab my last couple things before walking out of my apartment.

As we land in Italy I grab Lando's McLaren hoodie that I stole from him and throw it on, already feeling cold. Making my way off the plane and grabbing my suitcase before walking out and seeing someone in a McLaren team shirt. She seems to recognize me, since I have been to a few Grand Prix's before. She waved me over. "Y/n, right?" She asks. "Yes, that's me." I smile. "Ok great. If we leave now we can get to the hotel and back to the track in time for qualifying." She says and leads the way to the car.

I place my suitcase down in Lando's room. I grab my phone out of my bag, shoving it into the hoodie pocket before making my way back out the hotel room.

The lady hands me a 2021 paddock pass. "Keep this, you need it for the whole year." She says. "Thank you." I say and we walk to the entrance. I can hear all the car engines roaring, signaling the beginning of Q1.

I scan my pass before walking into the Mclaren garage. I make my way into the garage and get there just as both cars leave. I wave at all Lando's engineers, giving some fist bumps. Andreas notices me from his place at the edge of the garage and waved me over. "Hello, Daniel told me you would be coming today. To surprise Lando." He says. "Yeah. I'm very excited." I say with a smile. "Of course. Would you like to sit at the pit wall with me? So you can hide from Lando till the end of Q1" He says with a small smile. "Yeah, that sounds great." I say with a smile and we both quickly make our way to the other side of the pit lane. I place the orange headphones on my head and sit back, watching the timing screens.

Lando begins a timed lap and quickly makes his way around the track. Earning some purple sectors. His time pushes him into P3. Which is amazing, even though it's only Q1.

He returns the bright orange car to the garage and I turn to face the garage, kinda hoping he would notice me. He climbs out the car and begins to talk to his engineers, taking his helmet and balaclava off. His helmet hair looks gorgeous even though I know he hates it. He looks to be in a very intense conversation with his engineers. I check the pit lane before walking across towards the turned back of my boyfriend.

I see his engineer notice me out the corner of his eye as I walk up behind Lando. I place my face right next to his ear and whisper, "Hi babe." Directly into his ear. Lando jumps and hits his elbow directly into the side of my rib cage. A sharp pain shoots through the entire left side of my body. "Ouch." I say with a small laugh.

"Oh my god, baby. Are you ok? Why are you here? Don't you have uni? When did you get here? Are you hurt?" He asks quickly as I place my hand on my rib cage. "That was a lot at once but I'll be fine. I thought I'd surprise you." I say with a small smile, my ribs beginning to feel better. "Well consider me surprised." He says, wrapping his arms around my waist before kissing my cheek. "I'm sorry I hurt you." He says, looking very upset. "It's fine. I should have expected you to have some reflexes." I giggle. "Lando, let's go!" Someone yells. "Duty calls. Gotta go, I'm going to make you proud." He says with a small smile. "You always do babe." I say in rerun before he walks back into the garage and I rerun to the pit wall.

"That was cute." Andreas says from next to me. "Thanks. It did hurt though." I say, running my hands over my presumably bruised ribs.

The cars all roll back out for Q3. Lando starts his fast lap and quickly gets a purple sector one. "Yes Lando! Come on." I say even though he can't hear me. He gets a purple sector two and the excitement begins to grow. He could get pole position. I pull my sleeves over my hands, trying to calm the nerves. I feel the excitement grow  as he gets closer and closer to the finish line. He crosses the line and his time pushes him into P2. "Oh my god, yes!" I say trying to contain my excitement. I high five Andreas but then I see Lando move back down the timing screens. "Wait, what happened?" I ask, confused. "Track limits, turn nine." Andreas confirms. "No, Lando's going to be so upset." I say, feeling very sad about what just happened.

Lando pulls his helmet off as I make my way across to the garage. He runs his hands through his hair in frustration. I want to give him some space but also wanting to be there to comfort him. I walk up behind him and place my hand on his shoulder. "Hey." I say softly. He turns to look at me and instantly wraps his arms around my waist, placing his head in the crook of my neck. "It will be ok. I know you wanted to do well today but tomorrow is what counts. You tried your best today and I'm so proud of you. Please don't beat yourself up over this." I say into his ear. His arms stay around my waist but he loves his head to look at me. "You are amazing. I love you." He says and kisses my forehead. "I love you too." I reply.