Are You Trying to Hurt Me?

"Are you trying to hurt me?" Big Red shouted at Ashlyn, finally breaking.

"I- I—" Ashlyn didn't know how to respond, her voice breaking. "No, I— have—"

"I'll see you... around." He shook his head and walked away, leaving Ashlyn alone behind the school.

Big Red had just wandered upon Ashlyn, who was speaking to a boy he had seen her talk too often. He brushed away his jealousy, because he figured Ashlyn would tell him the truth. But seeing Ashlyn blush as the other boy flirted, and seeing her compliment him back, after this had been going on for weeks, was too much for him.

Ashlyn sat down against the wall, putting her face in her hands. She started crying, which quickly turned into sobs. She lost track of the time she was there, but she knew it was over an hour. She finally worked up the nerve to text him.

                                                                                       Big Red❤️

Ashlyn: Can we please talk?

Big Red: I doubt there's much to talk about.

Ashlyn: I just want to explain. You don't have to forgive me. I won't forgive myself if you don't get closure, wether we're together or not.

Big Red: When + where?

Ashlyn: Now?

Big Red: Where?

Ashlyn: My house?

Big Red: Be there soon.

Ashlyn: Thank you

Ashlyn attempted to wipe the tears off her face as she began walking home. When she made it, her face was still being coated in fresh tears, and Big Red was already there.

"Did I make you wait?" She whispered, sitting down on the bench next to him.

"A few minutes." He nodded, staring at the ground.

"Sorry. I was still at school."

"Why?"

"I couldn't pull myself together." She mumbled.

"What?" Big Red looked up at her for the first time. "Oh." He noticed the tears on her face. Suddenly feeling guilty, he forced himself not to hug her. Then again, even if she had feelings for someone else, and even if she lied... she should still be happy. He knew better than to date someone who would cheat, but he still loved her, and he didn't know what she would tell him anyways. "Oh." He repeated, hugging her.

"I thought you were mad at me." Ashlyn mumbled. She wanted to lean into the hug, cry into his shoulder, and not let go of him, but she knew she had made a huge mistake.

"I am."

"Then why..."

"I don't want you to cry." He said. "Even the worst people shouldn't cry with no one to help them."

"Am I the worst?" She whispered.

"No. I'm mad, not insane. Can you go ahead and explain?"

Tempted to ask for a minute, to keep the hug going, she nodded. She couldn't keep him waiting, it wouldn't be right. Even if the hug could be their last. She pulled away from him. "Biggie, I swear... I love you..." Ashlyn tried to figure out what else she could say.

"And?"

"He was flirting, but I wasn't. I was trying to let him down easily. I'll admit that I could've done better. In all honesty, when he started talking to me I thought he'd stop. I may've complimented him a time or two, but... I mean... I meant it platonically, and I just... please forgive me. I love you." She paused. She tried to think of something else to say, but put her face in her hands and started crying more.

"I—"

"You don't have to say it. I hate myself right now too."

"Ashl—"

"You don't have to let me down easy. You can just leave. I'm so, so sorry." Ashlyn cut him off again.

"Ashlyn!"

"I told you, I'm sorry!"

"Ashlyn! Moon! Caswell!" He gently moved her head out of her hands. "Stop that right now." He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer to him. "I'm not dumb to the point I'd let you go over a misunderstanding."

"Really?" She cried into his shoulder.

"Of course." He held her hand, his other arm around her. Her crying slowed down over the next few minutes, before stopping all together. "Better?"

"Better." Ashlyn nodded. She hugged him tighter. "I really am sorry, even if it's not what I meant."

"And I really forgive you." Big Red said, rolling his eyes. "Stop apologizing, I forgave you."

"Got it." She nodded again. "I love you so much."

"I love you too Ash."