Flirting and Jackets

A/N: Big Red and Ashlyn haven't started dating in this

I walked around the party, looking for someone to talk to. I smiled as I saw Ashlyn. I went to talk to her, but before I spoke she grabbed my arm and pulled me over. "This is my boyfriend." She told the boy she had been talking to.

"Oh." He said.

"Ashly—" She interrupted me by pulling me closer.

"He's flirting with me, please just go with it." She whispered. She held my hand, causing me to blush, but she didn't notice.

"Ah, well... lucky guy." He said.

"Mhm. Ash's amazing." I smiled.

"She seems to be. How long have you been together?"

"3 months." She lied.

"2 months." I lied, speaking at the same time.

"Uh..." He looked at each of us.

"Wow, love." She started, causing me to blush again. Her cheeks were red too, and I was unsure if it was for the same reason or she was simply embarrassed. "You can't even remember. We'll, uh, have to talk later."

"Right, yes, we should." I nodded frantically.

"Well, if this causes a breakup or something," he started, whispering to Ashlyn, though I could hear, "call me."

"Oh, yeah, um... that won't happen. It's a misunderstanding, nothing big." She faked a smile, shifting closer to me.

"Okay, it's always an offer." He nodded.

"An offer you could give if she was single, maybe." I said. "But she isn't."

"Thanks. Um, we should go, don't you think?" She gestured to the door.

"Oh, yeah, sounds like a plan." I walked outside with her. "That was... something."

"Sorry. You were just there, it was weird, and— it happened." She apologized.

"Oh, I get it." I nodded. I slipped my hand out of hers, realizing I was still holding it. "Oh, sorry."

"Um... yeah, it's fine." Ashlyn nodded back. She pulled her hand away and put it in her lap. "Thanks for playing along so well."

"I meant some of it."

"Like what?"

"You are amazing." I told her.

"Oh, uh— you too." She smiled. She looked out at the sidewalk. "Don't wanna be late for curfew, I should go."

"Want me to walk with you?" I offered, smiling.

"Sounds nice." We started walking. "October's weird."

"What do you mean?"

"Sometimes it's hot, and sometimes it's cold." She said. "It's always like that, of course. It just feels like it ranges a lot this time of year."

"Oh... yeah. True. Never thought about that."

"I haven't thought about it much either." She shrugged.

"Are you cold now? Because it's definitely not hot."

"A little."

"Uh... here." I handed her my jacket.

"Oh, I— um, thanks." She put it on. It was hard to tell because everything was only lit by the moon and a few streetlights, but I thought I saw her blushing.

"Of course."

"I'm just curious, but have you had a girlfriend before?"

"No. Unless you count a week long relationship in kindergarten."