Not Leaving

TW: Hospitals/mention of heart attack

"Big Red, I know you don't want to, but you really do have to leave for awhile. You need to eat a little." Nini said, sitting down a few feet away.

"I told you, I told everyone, I'm not leaving." Big Red said, holding Ashlyn's hand. He was lying next to her with his head near her chest, listening to her faint heartbeat.

"I know you're scared, we all are, but she will be okay."

"Nini, if my wife has a heart att- attack, I'm not leaving her side until I know she's okay." He said, his face falling into an almost numb look of anger. He didn't know what he was mad at, but something kept him from crying. Somehow, he was too upset to.

"You've missed two meals. You have to eat. You can do it in about 5 minutes, I'll stay right here. Ricky's outside, he'll help you. Everyone will, they're there too."

"I'll miss as many meals as I have to. I'm not leaving her." He insisted.

"I know, I know. Please. If not for me, or anyone else, for Ashlyn. She doesn't want you to starve."

"She... she... I love eating with her."

"And it's only a matter of time before you'll do it again. She's gonna make it. Go out to Ricky, go eat something, please." Nini said, trying to be as confident as she could.

"I... I guess I could... leave for just a few minutes."

"Yeah, there you go." She helped him up, but he didn't move, his hand still in Ashlyn's.

"She almost looks like she's sleeping."

"Come on..." Nini led him outside, forcing him to release his hold on Ashlyn's hand. The second he let go he felt himself break down, and once the door was closed he fell against the wall. Ricky helped him up.

"Hey, hey, let's grab something to eat..."

"I need her, Ricky. She's the love of my life, I actually need her. The... the thought of... of l- loos- loosing her, I— I'm scared." He sunk back down onto the floor, sobbing into his knees.

"Come on." Ricky, not knowing what he could possibly do to help, picked him up and walked him to the hospital cafeteria. He handed him some food.

"No. I'm supposed to be with her. Why am I even here, I should be lying right next to her." He said, putting his head on the table.

"You can't lie by her if you starve to death."

"Fine." Big Red stubbornly ate a bite of food, expecting to stop after, but it made him realize how hungry he was. Quickly shoving food into his mouth, he finished a few minutes later.

"Feels better, doesn't it?"

"A little."

"Let's get out of here, I don't think it's doing you any favors to be stuck in a hospital." Ricky suggested.

"But she needs me..."

"Yes, but not right this second."

"But I need her..."

"And you have her, but not right this second." Ricky said. "Let's get your mind off of this."

"Maybe..."

"We can all go out and have a good time. At least, we'll try to, 'kay?"

"'Kay." Big Red nodded weakly.

"Can we leave now?" Big Red asked the group, tears in his eyes. The thought hadn't escaped his mind since they had gone out, but it surprised everyone it took about an hour to be asked. That wasn't to say he hadn't gone to the bathroom and broken down twice, nor was it to say he had been acting like himself.