Take a Break

I opened the door to see Big Red standing there, looking nervous. He was probably half as nervous as I was, but I still hated it. Shaking off my feelings, I greeted him. "Hi."

"Hey Ash." This could be the last time I heard 'Ash' from him. "We need to talk?"

"Yeah... we do." I nodded. "Let's go to my room, we probably shouldn't do it out here." I grabbed his hand and brought him to my room. I looked at our hands and hesitantly let go of his. He sat by me.

"Ashlyn, what's going on?" I saw the worry in his eyes and sighed.

"Don't look at me like that, it only makes it harder." I whined. I pulled myself together, hesitated, and continued. "We need to take a break."

"I... I thought things were going well."

"I know... I wish they were... and they kind of are... I just think we need some time apart."

"Why?" He asked.

"I have feelings for someone else. I still have feelings for you, I need to figure out what my feelings are for each of you. I really don't want to lead you on, thinking that things are great, and then one day not have feelings for you. I need to figure myself out, and I need to understand my feelings without the pressure of a relationship." I explained, tearing up. "I... do you understand?"

"Not really."

"I don't want to lead you on when one day I might start having stronger feelings for someone else."

"I know. You said that. It's hard to contemplate things when you're having your heart broken!"

"No, please don't shout... I'm so sorry." More tears welled up on my eyes.

"Sorry. Just... please promise me something."

"I can try."

"If your feelings lean towards me, and you're ready for a relationship, come to me. Right when you figure it out." He said. "Even if it's in a year and I'm dating someone, you'll always be in the back of my mind. Or the front."

"O- Okay. I will." I nodded.

"Thank you."

"I'm so sorry. I... I think I love you... I just..."

"You— you love me?"

"Um... yeah, I think so." I nodded nervously. "Do you?"

"Well, I... um..."

"I'll see you around." I said, trying to lead him to the front door.

"Oh... bye."

*2 months later*

"We need to talk." I whispered to Big Red. We were doing our bows for Beauty and the Beast, but I was impatient. I needed an answer, and so did he. He nodded at me, and we bowed. Everyone ran offstage, and the two of us hurried away from everyone else to avoid getting lost in a crowd of congratulations.

"What is it?"

"Can we date again? Or at least go on a date?"

"What?" He asked, taken aback.

"Please forgive me for being so distant lately. I know it was probably annoying, but I've figured things out. I don't have any feelings for him anymore, but I can't seem to get over you." I apologized. "And I'm sorry if I moved too fast. Um... you don't have to love me yet."

"I... wow."

"Is that a yes, or a no, or a let-me-think-about-it?" I asked.

"Ash, I understand why you broke up with me. I forgive you. And I do love you."

"You do?"

"I do. I'm sorry I didn't say it... it just felt like horrible timing. Neither of us were happy, I didn't want to confuse things, and you kinda kicked me out."

"I love you too." I smiled slightly. "And... sorry about that." I apologized. "So will you be my boyfriend again?"

"Yeah, I will." He nodded.

"Great!" I hugged him.

He hugged me back. "Let's join the others, sound good?"

"Mhm."