Tension

A/N: during the filing of Something in the Air after redlyn's first kiss

Big Red and Ashlyn hadn't talked, besides briefly in group conversations, since their kiss. It definitely left some tension between them.

"I guess Miss Jenn grouped everyone, um, randomly." Big Red said to Ashlyn, trying to break the ice.

They had just gotten the lyrics for the number they were putting on East High's Instagram. Complicating things was the brief moment Ashlyn and Big Red were to sing. To say the least, it was flirty.

"Must have." She nodded, forcing a laugh that came out more nervous than anything else, and for good reason.

"So..."

"I guess we start rehearsing tomorrow, so..." Ashlyn started. She didn't finish.

"Yeah, um, Ash? Or Ashlyn? I know it's kinda only a matter of time before we have a group chat or whatever, but, um, can I maybe have your number?"

"Oh, I mean... Ash works, of course. Not like you haven't said it before." She nodded.

"I just wasn't sure after— yeah. Okay. So..."

"Right, yeah, number. Could I just put it in your phone?" She asked. He nodded and handed it to her. She put in her number.

"Thanks." He smiled shyly.

"Of course. Um, text me anytime." She almost leaned in for a hug before catching herself. Hugging and even kissing felt so natural with him already. Part of that probably had to do with her fantasies of being a couple with him.

"Will do."

~

"You didn't tell anyone what happened, did you?" Ashlyn asked Big Red quietly. "I mean, no, I did too, that's— that's fine, but... like, think anyone told Miss Jenn?"

"She... does her own stuff. Who knows. I told a few people."

"Same." She nodded.

Silence.

"Ready? We"re rehearsing." She asked. He nodded.

~

He studied her contact, which she had added her name to when giving him her number

He studied her contact, which she had added her name to when giving him her number. He hesitated.

Ashlyn put Big Red's number in her phone, adding the contact name

~

"That wasn't too hard." Big Red sent Ashlyn a smile as he walked over to her after they shot the number.

"No, it wasn't bad." She nodded.

Her real thoughts were more along the lines of "we just held hands," "does he actually want to 'bump into someone under mistletoe,' because I'd be more than happy to kiss again," and "should I admit I really like you?"

His were practically the same.

He smiled at her. "I'm going out of town." She said. "For Christmas. I'll be back for New Years, of course, we have the party and all."

"Oh, okay." He nodded. "So..."

"I'll keep in touch." She smiled at him. A few seconds passed. "With everyone..."

"Yeah, of course."

"I'm leaving tonight, I should probably pack. I'll text you later." She grabbed her bag and walked outside, taking a deep breath of the fresh air.

Maybe when she got back to Salt Lake. Maybe New Years Eve.

Maybe it was wishful thinking, but he had kissed her back.

Then again, they were both nervous it was a fluke. Ashlyn had realized he might have kissed her back by instinct without being ready for a relationship. Big Red couldn't believe she actually truly thought it through. It had been a busy day.