Kingdoms

A/N: so so so so much angst... when you finish tell me if you want a part 2... bc this is kinda a bummer

Royalty au

Ashlyn Caswell was 20. She was happy enough (only barely, and she shouldn't have been satisfied) with her boyfriend, but not as happy as she could be. He would probably propose soon, because it would help their neighboring kingdoms since she was a princess and he was a prince, but they weren't truly in love. Maybe they could get there, but they weren't yet.

Big Red (not many people knew his actual name, despite his fame) was 21. He was single, and none of his girlfriends had lasted. Not because he used them or played with their hearts, but because he too was in a neighboring kingdom to the Caswell's. He was lucky enough to not be forced into marriage like most girls, but he was still often set up. He didn't connect with any of the girls who found their lives fun, because he was fed up. Even if they didn't like it, he never seemed to click with anyone or fall in love.

Neither of them truly knew love. Their parents told them they loved them, and they did believe them, but they didn't know what love really meant.

All the kingdoms nearby were split into sides, and they were on the verge of a war. No one could agree on anything, but there was one thing two people agreed on: the war was unnecessary.

Of course, there were surely more than two people who agreed on this, but the two people who could potentially speak out on it were Ashlyn and Big Red. However, speaking out wouldn't result in anything but trouble from their families.

Even on the verge of war, the kingdoms all met up every few months. This was one of those days. The kings and queens were currently conversing, and all their kids were stuck together eating. No one was very talkative.

Even with each kingdom having allies and having almost equal amounts of power, the Caswell's and Redonovich's were the biggest rivalry. Ashlyn and Big Red were both only children, and so they kept glaring at each other through the silence.

"Lynny, sweetheart..." Ashlyn's boyfriend, Conner, leaned to whisper in her ear.

"Yes?" She asked through gritted teeth.

"Ignore him, just eat."

"You act like it's that easy Conner." She muttered. "His family—"

"Yes, I know, it's all you can talk about."

"I avoid talking about it every day that I can, okay? Maybe I've complained a little today-" her glare only softened slightly when she turned to him. "-but it's because this is my entire life right now. You of all people should get this."

"I know." He mumbled, eating again.

"Can you stop glaring at me?" Ashlyn asked Big Red.

"You're doing the same thing." He pointed out.

"Immature."

"You started it."

"Also immature." She rolled her eyes.

"Maybe, but starting it's also immature."

"Pointing it out is too."

"Can you two be quiet?" Another prince asked.