Prom

A/N: eeee I kinda love this one shot :)))) it's pure fluff and I just dhehhfhe redlyn

Ashlyn was used to being in the shadows due to her popular cousin, who was actually a genuinely great guy. And although he didn't need her permission, he and Gina had both asked for it, and it was an easy thing to approve— so now EJ and Gina were dating. However, one this couple formed, Ashlyn was left to be one of two remaining singles in her friend group.

The other was Big Red. While he was an only child and his cousins were drastically younger or older in age, he was pretty used to the shadows too. His friends were all pretty popular. It wasn't bad, people just didn't really notice him much. He didn't care, though. And he wasn't really searching for a partner, either.

But with Prom around the corner, showing up without a date seemed boring to both of them.

During one uneventful rehearsal in the bomb shelter, Ashlyn approached Big Red. They weren't best friends, but they were pretty close, and thoroughly enjoyed each other's company. "Hey." She smiled.

"Oh, hey Ashlyn." He smiled back.

"Would you wanna go to Prom with me?"

"Oh, uh— like a date?"

"No, I mean, as friends. I just figured since everyone else has a date we could just kinda hang out together. Of course you can cancel whenever if you get a date. If you even wanna go." She specified.

"What?" He was confused by her long explanation.

"You wanna go as friends?"

"Oh, sure, sounds great."

"Great!" She smiled.

Now they both had dates— or as Ashlyn put it, people they were attending the dance with. Or so they thought.

Ashlyn got asked to Prom three days later by Eric Johnson, a popular football and water polo player. Big Red saw it go down, disappointed he would now be the only one without a date. And hanging out with Ashlyn was just so... fun.

She walked over to him, noticing his upset face. "I said no."

"You said no?"

"Of course, we're going together."

"But he's Eric Johnson. He's so popular, attractive, and we're just going as friends— why would you rather go with me?" He asked.

"Dude, I'm not looking for a date. And he and EJ were friends, he's not that great, it's a whole thing. Just not my type."

"Okay, but... just don't say no because of me."

"Hey, going with you makes me happy. With no date, that I really want, this is the next best thing. No offense— but you know. It's Prom, it's kinda for romance."

"Oh, yeah, totally get it." He nodded. "And yeah, I'm really happy to go with you."

"Great." She hugged him. "I gotta head to class. G'bye."

"Bye!" He waved to her as she left.

The next few days, the two hung out more and more to discuss Prom plans. They coordinated, but they also learned more and more about each other. There were still three weeks until Prom.

"Okay, so you wanna wear yellow?" Big Red checked, leaning off his bed to look at Ashlyn upside down, who was sitting on his beanbag in his basement.